When you have multiple people in your home, you may want one other person to be connected to your Ring Doorbell in case you are unable to answer any notifications that come up on your phone. But can a single ring device be connected to two phones through the Ring app?
The Ring Doorbell can be connected to more than two phones or devices; each user of the phone or device can be given shared access to log into a single account. You could also provide your Ring username and password to the other user to use on another device, although this is not recommended.
With the opportunity to connect more than one phone to a Ring Doorbell, more eyes can help protect your property at any given moment. Read on to learn more about these two shared access options to give your friends and family access to your Ring Doorbell.
Connecting Two Phones To Your Ring Doorbell
Connecting two phones to your Ring Doorbell puts all hands-on deck. Everyone who lives in the home has the opportunity to spot a regular package drop-off or an intruder.
There is no limit to how many people or devices can have access to your Ring account. There are only two options when it comes to connecting more phones, and that is by using the “Shared Users” feature or by simply giving someone your account information.
Sharing Multiple Users Access to Your Ring Account
There are features that everyone who shares access to the Ring Doorbell can still use:
- Saving videos to their phone or tablet
- Look at the Live View
- View Event History
- Can be put on a three-way call to answer an alert message
- Initiate and use Ring Plus
- Will be able to obtain and answer alert messages when the Ring Doorbell has been pressed or the sensors have been triggered
- Control what alerts they receive on their devices that are logged into the account
All the above features are great if you want someone to be a second set of eyes for you. However, there are also features that a shared user will not be able to access. Those features include:
- Deleting videos
- Deleting other users devices
- Adding other shared users
- Change settings for Ring Doorbell
Using the Same Login
By giving everyone your login information to your Ring app, you are allowing them the same control over your Ring Doorbell as you would have. However, with this option, there are no limits to what anyone with your information can do. Those with your login have the ability to:
- Add users and pass your login on to others
- Has access to everyone else’s profiles on your account
- Change any settings you have for your Ring Doorbell
- Save, share, or delete your videos
A drawback to having multiple users use a single account across multiple phones is that the other users can delete videos and change your devices’ names and locations.
Only give your login information to those you trust the most. However, it is highly recommended that you add them as a shared user instead. If you choose to add others to your Ring account by sharing your login, they’ll have unrestricted access to other Ring devices you may have as well, including a Ring camera or alarm system.
How to Add a Second Phone to Your Ring Account
Connecting another phone to your account is an easy task. The shared user option is the only option that requires any real steps to follow.
Adding a Shared User
If you should choose this route and have multiple Ring devices, you can select any Ring device that you want a specific person to have access to. The steps for adding someone as a user goes as follows:
- Open your Ring App on your smartphone or tablet.
- Next, tap on the Device Settings page.
- Tap on the Shared Users button and then tap on the Add User button.
- This is the time you will need that person’s email address. Once you have it, enter the email and click on your Ring Doorbell listed.
- Tap the Send Invite button. This will then send an invite to the other user’s email, and they can now click the link provided to accept your invite.
- Once they click the link, it will send them to make a Ring account of their own. The link will pull up a page for them to create their own account.
- After they have created their Ring account, exit the page and have them sign into the Ring app. They will now have access to your Ring Doorbell.
Can You Have Two Ring Accounts on One Phone?
Say you have your own Ring account, but someone has given you shared access to their own Ring devices at a different location, such as a place of business or a family member’s home. Could you use both accounts on the same device?
Technically speaking, you can use two accounts on the same device; the only drawback is that you may have to log out of your own account to access the other user’s individual account and their Ring devices and vice-versa. You will not be able to merge the accounts to be used on one phone.
Ring’s unique Shared User feature allows you to grant access to your Ring Doorbell to multiple users and their phones without having to worry about providing your personal account information.
Shared users can only access limited features, such as checking out the Live View or using the doorbell’s two-way talk feature. Still, realistically, these features are the only things they would typically need access to anyway.
Curious about whether you can have more than one Ring Doorbell or device in one house? Check out this article!