A Ring camera is a great way to stay connected to your home when you’re not there. You can easily see who is around your house and property, and connecting the camera to your Samsung TV—or any TV—can enhance how you use the camera and give you more accessibility. But is it possible?
You can connect your Ring camera to your Samsung TV. To use the camera with your Samsung TV, you will need to connect it to the Ring app and the SmartThings app. Other smart TVs can be connected to the Ring camera using Alexa and a Fire TV Stick or a Fire TV Cube.
Below, we’ll cover how to connect your Ring camera to the appropriate apps so you can start viewing recordings and live footage from your TV. We’ll also discuss some troubleshooting tips and the best way to use Ring on any smart TV.
Can I View My Ring Camera on My Samsung TV?
Only Samsung TVs that are integrated with SmartThings can be used with Ring. For a full list of compatible TVs, check here.
How to Connect Ring Camera to a TV
If you have one of the compatible TVs mentioned in the linked list above, you can easily connect your Ring camera to the device using the steps below:
Connect Your Ring Camera to the Ring App
The first thing you will need to do is connect the Ring Camera to the Ring app on your smartphone. Ring doesn’t have an app directly compatible with Samsung TVs (or any smart TVs), so you will need to do it on your phone.
Use the following steps:
- Download the Ring app.
- Create an account or log in to an existing one.
- Tap Set Up a Device.
- Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on the Ring Camera.
- Select the location where you are putting the camera.
- Name the Ring Camera.
- Click Settings.
- Click Wi-Fi.
- Select the Ring Network.
- Then select your home Wi-Fi Network.
- Enter in your Wi-Fi password.
- Press Continue.
- Follow the on-screen prompts until it says Done.
Connect Your Ring Account to Your SmartThings Account
Then you will need to connect your Ring account to your SmartThings account using the following steps:
- Open the SmartThings appon your smart device.
- Tap the “+” icon next to Add a Device.
- It will ask, “What do you want to add to this location?” Select Device.
- Tap Ring > Camera.
- Select the Location and Room that your Ring camera is located.
- Select Next > Authorize Connection to Ring
- Log in to your Ring account from the next screen.
- Tap Authorize.
- Press Done.
If the connection was successful, you will see a “Congratulations!” message. Click on the home screen from the SmartThings app and make sure you see the camera listed under Ring devices.
Connect Your Ring Camera to Your Samsung TV
Now, you’ll be able to connect your Ring camera to your TV:
- Go to the app page on your Samsung TV.
- Select SmartThings.
- Login to your account.
- Select Settings by clicking the gear on the top right corner.
- Toggle the Notification switch to On.
By toggling the settings to the on position, your TV will now alert you every time the Ring camera detects motion.
How to Connect Ring Camera to Non-Samsung TVs
If you have another smart TV that doesn’t have SmartThings, you can connect your Ring Camera using Alexa and an Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV Cube. Keep in mind you will need both an Alexa device and a Fire device for this to work.
Just like with the Samsung TV, you will need to connect your Ring Camera to the Ring app before connecting it to the TV. Afterward, you can follow the steps below:
- Open the Alexa app on your smart device.
- Click Main Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Press TV & Video.
- Select Fire TV.
- Choose Link Your Alexa Device.
- Choose the name of your Fire TV.
- Select Continue.
- Select the Alexa device that you use to control your Fire TV. For example: Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, etc.
You can now use Alexa commands to see the camera on the TV. Try some of the following commands:
- Alexa, show the front door.
- Alexa, show the most recent event from the front yard.
- Alexa, show me the last activity from the back door.
- Alexa, pause.
- Alexa, show the driveway.
You can connect your Ring camera to your Samsung TV using the SmartThings app. With other smart TVs—and even certain Samsung TVs without SmartThings—you will need to use an Amazon Alexa device and either a Fire Stick or a Fire TV Cube. You can then easily view your Ring camera’s footage right from your device!