The more I use smart technology in my home, the more I’m surprised by how many of the devices can seamlessly integrate. I currently use a Ring Doorbell with my mobile device to stream video, but I wanted to know if I could also view it on my TV using my Firestick.
Can Ring Doorbell Show on my TV? The Ring Doorbell Pro supports compatibility with certain Smart TVs. If you don’t have a compatible TV, you can also use a Fire TV Stick. This allows you to see what your Doorbell cam sees outside your house, right on your TV.
Additionally, you can configure your Smart TV to receive motion alerts and doorbell activation notifications from the Ring Doorbell. Whether you’re looking to connect your Firestick, or manually through the TV’s interface, there are a few options.
What’s Required to Get Started?
As with most smart home technology, there are a few moving pieces that go into the initial setup. Before you can get started viewing video from your Ring Doorbell, you’ll need a few additional components. Here’s a quick breakdown of what’s required:
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- Samsung Smart TV or “Fire TV” compatible Smart TV
- SmartThings App (if using a Samsung device)
- The SmartThings app will allow you to add the device to your Samsung interface.
- Fire TV Stick
Which Devices are Compatible?
Though there are several different methods to connect your Ring Doorbell to your Smart TV, some devices aren’t currently compatible with the technology. Let’s take a look at which devices support native integration:
Compatible Ring Doorbells
|Feature(s)||Video Doorbell 2||Video Doorbell Pro||Video Doorbell Elite|
|Video Resolution||1080 HD (Wide-angle)||1080 HD||1080 HD|
|Power Source||Rechargeable Battery||16-24 VAC Transformer||Power Over Ethernet|
“Ring Doorbell Pro can be integrated with SmartThings Video. The Ring Doorbell and Ring Doorbell 2 are not compatible.”
Given that some models are supported by different Smart TVs and incompatible with others, it’s essential to verify compatibility before purchasing a new device. Now that we have a better idea of which Doorbells are compatible, let’s take a look at Smart TV compatibility:
Compatible Smart TVs
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Samsung Smart TVs support native compatibility for the Ring Doorbell’s associated app. They also come with their own app, “SmarterThings,” designed to integrate with your existing system.
- Fire Edition TVs
- Fire TVs come pre-configured with Alexa and similarly offers seamless integration.
Using either of these Smart TVs would override the need to use a Fire TV Stick as a go-between for the different devices. Additionally, you can still show videos on other brands of smart TVs using a Fire TV Stick.
Setting up Ring Video Doorbell on Fire TV
The process of setting up your Ring Doorbell on a Fire TV is very straightforward, meaning you can have the devices communicating in no time. Here’s how to get your Ring Doorbell streaming on your Fire TV:
- Make sure you have the Alexa app installed on your mobile device.
- Select “Skills & Games” and search for the “Ring Skill.”
- Once you have the “Ring Skill” configured, you just need to “Enable” and “Authorize” the Ring Doorbell.
- Select your “Ring Doorbell” from the “Devices” list – And you’re done!
Setting up a Ring Video Doorbell Directly on your Samsung Smart TV
The initial setup required to integrate your Ring Doorbell with your Samsung Smart TV is a little more involved but still user-friendly. Here’s a look at the necessary steps to get your system up and running:
- First, you’ll need to download and install the Samsung SmartThings App on your mobile device.
- On the app open “Devices” and click “Add Device” > “Add Device Manually.”
- On the list of devices, select “Doorbells” > “Ring.”
- The app will then ask you for your Ring account information.
- After that, you’re done! You should be able to view your video stream from your Doorbell directly on your Samsung Smart TV.
For a helpful visual how-to guide, you can also check out this article at Samsung Support. Now that we’ve taken a look at the process for connecting your Smart TV, let’s take a look at some options if you don’t have a Samsung or Fire TV.
Using a Firestick
If you have a non-Samsung model of Smart TV but are still looking to connect to your Ring Doorbell, there are some approachable and straightforward solutions available.
One of the simplest and most cost-effective methods uses the Fire TV Stick. If you’re unfamiliar with this product, the Fire TV Stick is a streaming media player that plugs directly into your TV. It also has Alexa built-into the remote, making it easier to integrate with other Amazon devices. Basically, the Fire TV stick acts as a receiver for the TV to communicate with your Ring Video Doorbell.
How to Setup Ring Video Doorbell on your TV with Fire TV Stick
The Amazon ecosystem is very well integrated, and their wireless devices are no exception. You can view your Ring Video Doorbell on your Smart TV with a Fire TV Stick in just a few short steps:
- If you haven’t already, download and install the Alexa App.
- Enable the “Ring Skill” feature on the Alexa app.
- This will allow you to voice-activate your video stream from the Ring Doorbell.
- Once you have enabled the “Ring Skill,” the app will ask you to authorize the Doorbell.
- After this, you should be connected and ready to go!
Once you have completed the initial setup steps, you can voice activate your Ring Doorbell via the Fire TV Stick. You can issue voice commands like “Alexa, let me see the front doorbell” or “Alexa, show me the backyard.”
Additionally, if you’re looking for a helpful video tutorial or if you want to see the Fire TV Stick in action, you can check out this YouTube guide for more tips.
Troubleshooting Potential Issues
As with most smart home technology, you may experience some issues that need to be addressed in order for your system to function properly.
Now that we have a better idea of what’s involved in getting your Ring Doorbell integrated with your Smart TV, here are some helpful tips if you experience any issues that need troubleshooting:
Video does not Display on TV
- Make sure your devices are on the same wireless network.
- If you’re using a Fire TV, you can manually check if any software updates are available to potentially resolve the issue.
- From the Fire TV menu, select “Settings” > “My Fire TV” > “Device” > “Check for System Update.”
Ring Doorbell Connection Issues
- If you’re experiencing a poor connection with your Ring Doorbell, your router may be too far away. According to Ring Support, the devices work best within 30 feet of each other.
- Check your wireless signal strength separately on a mobile device to try to isolate the issue.
- If you’re still experiencing connectivity issues, you can also try resetting your wireless router.
The Ring Video Doorbell offers the ability to monitor your home, while seamlessly integrating with your existing smart system. Several models of Smart TVs, including Samsung and Fire TV, provide native support for accessing your Ring Doorbell directly. Even if you don’t have a compatible model of Smart TV, you can always easily hookup a Fire TV stick to get your system integrated.