Can Ring Doorbell Show on my TV? (Firestick and Other Options)
The more we use smart technology in our homes the more surprised we are by how many devices seamlessly integrate with one another. For example, most people use the Ring Doorbell with their mobile device to stream video through the Ring app; but, can you show your Ring Doorbell footage on your smart TV with a Fire Stick or other alternative?
You can only show Ring Video Doorbell Pro video footage on a compatible smart TV; this feature is not available on other Ring Doorbell models. If you do not own a compatible smart TV, a Fire TV Stick will work for this purpose as well.
You can also configure your smart TV to receive motion alerts and doorbell activation notifications from the Ring Video Doorbell Pro. Whether you’re looking to connect your Ring Doorbell to your TV’s Fire Stick or through a compatible smart TV to view video from your doorbell, we’ll show you how to get started.
What Do You Need to Show Ring Doorbell on TV?
As with most smart home technology, there are a few moving pieces that go into the initial setup. Before you can get started viewing video from your Ring Doorbell, you’ll need a few additional components. Here’s a quick breakdown of you may need:
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- Samsung Smart TV or a “Fire TV” compatible Smart TV
- SmartThings App (if using a Samsung device)
- The SmartThings app will allow you to add the device to your Samsung interface.
- Fire TV Stick
Which Ring Doorbells Can Be Viewed on TV?
Though there are several different methods to connect your Ring Doorbell to your Smart TV, some devices aren’t currently compatible with the technology. Let’s take a look at which devices support native integration:
|Feature(s)||Video Doorbell 2||Video Doorbell Pro||Video Doorbell Elite|
|Video Resolution||1080 HD (Wide-angle)||1080 HD||1080 HD|
|Power Source||Rechargeable Battery||16-24 VAC Transformer||Power Over Ethernet|
As you can see, the original Ring Video Doorbell is not currently compatible with any models of Smart TVs. Additionally, according to Samsung, the “Ring Doorbell Pro can be integrated with SmartThings Video. The Ring Doorbell and Ring Doorbell 2 are not compatible.”
Given that some models are supported by different smart TVs and incompatible with others, it’s essential to verify compatibility before purchasing a new device.
Which Smart TVs Can Show Ring Doorbells?
Now that we have a better idea of which Ring doorbells are compatible for displaying their feed on smart TVs, let’s take a look at smart TV compatibility:
- Samsung Smart TVs: Samsung Smart TVs support native compatibility for the Ring Doorbell’s associated app. They also come with their own app, “SmarterThings,” designed to integrate with your existing system.
- Fire Edition TVs: Fire TVs come pre-configured with Alexa and similarly offers seamless integration.
Using either of these Smart TVs would override the need to use a Fire TV Stick as a go-between for the different devices. Additionally, you can still show videos on other brands of smart TVs using a Fire TV Stick.
Viewing the Ring Video Doorbell on Fire TVs
The process of setting up your Ring Doorbell on a Fire TV is very straightforward, meaning you can have the devices communicating in no time. Here’s how to get your Ring Doorbell streaming on your Fire TV:
- Make sure you have the Alexa app installed on your mobile device.
- Select “Skills & Games” and search for the “Ring Skill.”
- Once you have the “Ring Skill” configured, you just need to “Enable” and “Authorize” the Ring Doorbell.
- Select your “Ring Doorbell” from the “Devices” list, and you’re done!
Viewing Ring Video Doorbell on Samsung Smart TVs
The initial setup required to integrate your Ring Doorbell with your Samsung smart TV is a little more involved but still user-friendly. Here’s a look at the necessary steps to get your system up and running:
- First, you’ll need to download and install the Samsung SmartThings App on your mobile device.
- On the app open “Devices” and click “Add Device” > “Add Device Manually.”
- On the list of devices, select “Doorbells” > “Ring.”
- The app will then ask you for your Ring account information.
- After that, you’re done! You should be able to view your video stream from your doorbell directly on your Samsung smart TV.
(Source: Doorbell Expert)
For a helpful visual how-to guide, you can also check out this article at Samsung Support. Now that we’ve taken a look at the process for connecting your smart TV, let’s look at some alternative connecting options if you don’t have a Samsung or Fire TV.
Viewing Ring Doorbell on Fire Stick
If you have a non-Samsung model of smart TV but are still looking to connect to your Ring Doorbell, there are some other straightforward solutions available.
One of the simplest and most cost-effective methods uses the Fire TV Stick. If you’re unfamiliar with this product, the Fire TV Stick is a streaming media player that plugs directly into your TV. It also has Alexa built-into the remote, making it easier to integrate with other Amazon devices. Basically, the Fire TV stick acts as a receiver for the TV to communicate with your Ring Video Doorbell.
How to Set Up Ring Doorbell on Your TV with Fire TV Stick
The Amazon ecosystem is very well integrated, and their wireless devices are no exception. You can view your Ring Video Doorbell on your smart TV with a Fire TV Stick in just a few short steps:
- If you haven’t already, download and install the Alexa App.
- Enable the “Ring Skill” feature on the Alexa app. This will allow you to voice-activate your video stream from the Ring Doorbell.
- Once you have enabled the “Ring Skill,” the app will ask you to authorize the Doorbell.
- After this, you should be connected and ready to go!
Once you have completed the initial setup steps, you can voice-activate your Ring Doorbell via the Fire TV Stick. You can issue voice commands like “Alexa, let me see the front doorbell” or “Alexa, show me the backyard.”
If you’re looking for a helpful video tutorial or if you want to see the Fire TV Stick in action, you can check out this YouTube guide for more tips.
Troubleshooting Ring Doorbell and TV Connectivity
As with most smart home technology, you may experience some issues that need to be addressed for your system to function properly.
Now that we have a better idea of what’s involved in getting your Ring Doorbell integrated with your smart TV, here are some helpful tips if you experience any issues that need troubleshooting:
Ring Doorbell Video Does Not Display on TV
If you’ve followed the setup instructions above and still have trouble viewing your Ring Doorbell’s video feed on your smart TV, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your devices are on the same wireless network.
- If you’re using a Fire TV, you can manually check if any software updates are available to potentially resolve the issue.
- From the Fire TV menu, select “Settings” > “My Fire TV” > “Device” > “Check for System Update.”
Ring Doorbell Connection Issues
Sometimes, the reason why your smart TV cannot display your Ring Doorbell’s video is due to a poor or broken internet connection. To troubleshoot this issue, check for the following:
- If you’re experiencing a poor connection with your Ring Doorbell, your router may be too far away. According to Ring Support, the devices work best within 30 feet of each other.
- Check your wireless signal strength separately on a mobile device to try to isolate the issue.
- If you’re still experiencing connectivity issues, you can also try resetting your wireless router.
The Ring Video Doorbell offers the ability to monitor your home while seamlessly integrating with your existing smart system. Several smart TVs, including Samsung and Fire TVs, provide native support for accessing your Ring Doorbell directly. Even if you don’t have a compatible smart TV model, you can always easily hookup a Fire TV Stick to get your system integrated.