Ring Shared User Not Seeing Ring Device: Troubleshooting
With the Ring app, you can add shared users. This allows other people to see your Ring cameras and their Live Views. Adding in shared users also allows them to arm and disarm your Ring Alarm if you have one. Adding a shared user can be done in a few simple steps, but sometimes the user might not automatically see the Ring device.
Below, we’ll cover some basic troubleshooting steps you can try if a new shared user cannot see a Ring device you want to grant access to.
Why Can’t My Shared User See My Ring Camera?
Although adding shared users is pretty easy, there might be some issues when it comes to the shared user not being able to see the camera. The following are some reasons why they may not be able to see your Ring device.
Invite Process Was Done Incorrectly
Make sure you followed the correct steps below when it comes to adding a shared user:
- Go into your Ring app.
- Click the three lines on the Dashboard Screen.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap on the device you want to share.
- Tap Shared User.
- Enter in the person’s email.
- Tap Add User.
- Tap Send Invite.
If you followed the steps above, the issue might be with the shared user or their phone.
They Haven’t Accepted the Email Invite
When you add in a shared user, Ring will send them an email. They will need to go into their email and accept the invite to see the device in the app.
Once they click the link in the email, Ring will walk them through the steps they need to take to set up their account and see the devices. If they are saying they can’t see the device, suggest they check their email again for that specific link.
You Didn’t Add Them to the Right Location
When you add in a shared user on the Ring app, you will need to select the location of the device you want to add them to before clicking Save. If you add them to the wrong location, they won’t see the correct devices.
Keep in mind that for every location, you will have to send a separate invite. This means the user will also have to accept the email invitations for each location. If they can see some devices and not others, ask them to accept every location.
Ring Shared User Not Seeing Ring Devices: Troubleshooting
If you checked the items listed above and still find that the shared user can’t see the device, you might want to check the troubleshooting tips below.
- Uninstall and Reinstall the App – This is one of the simplest fixes. If the shared user cannot see the device, they may need to uninstall the app and reinstall it.
- Reset the Ring Device – Sometimes, the device will also need to be reset for the new user to be registered. Most Ring devices can be reset by holding the connect button or the setup button until the device turns off. Factory resetting the device will put it back in its original out-of-the-box settings.
- Update Your Ring App – For every user, running on the latest version of the Ring app will ensure that the device and all the features work correctly. If the shared user is running on an old version of the app, they will need to update it before checking if they can see your device.
- Reinvite the User to the App – If the email invitation didn’t work or the shared user doesn’t see it in their inbox, you might need to resend it.
- Call Ring Support – If all the tips and steps above have failed, you might need to call Ring Support. They will be able to do more thorough troubleshooting steps and see exactly where the problem is.
Adding a shared user is a great way for other people to see your Ring devices. However, if they don’t see the device after being invited, it can be frustrating and annoying. Luckily, troubleshooting the problem is usually very easy and can be fixed in just a few steps.