Ring Doorbell Camera Not Detecting Motion? 15 Fixes to Try!
Motion Alerts are one of the most popular features for Ring Doorbell users. These handy notifications alert you to any motion happening outside your front door. However, if your Ring Doorbell is not picking up on this motion, it can be quite frustrating.
Below, we’ll highlight 15 fixes you can try to get your Motion Alerts working again. Keep reading to learn how to solve this problem!
There are several reasons why your camera may not be detecting motion outside your front door. It could be an issue with:
- The Ring app
- Your notification settings
- The Ring Doorbell camera itself
Now, let’s discuss 15 different things you can try to get your motion detection working once again.
The most common reason people don’t get motion alerts sent to their phones is that Motion Alerts are disabled. To turn them back on, open your Ring app and make sure both Motion Alerts and Ring Alerts are enabled in the settings.
The Ring app has three different frequencies for sending Motion Alerts:
If you’re not getting motion alerts, you’ll want to change this setting to “Frequent.” Follow the steps below to do this:
- On the Ring app, tap the Ring Doorbell icon.
- Select “Motion Settings,” then the “Smart Alert” icon.
- Change your frequency to “Frequent.”
The Ring doorbell uses passive infrared (PIR) technology to detect motion. If there are any obstacles in the camera’s way, even windowpanes, Motion Alerts will not work properly.
If your Ring camera is not detecting motion, your Motion Zones may not be large enough. Here’s how to increase them:
- Open the Ring app, then select your Ring Doorbell.
- Tap “Motion Settings,” then “Select Zones and Ranges.”
- Make sure all of your Motion Zones are enabled and that the range is as large as possible.
- Save your new settings and close the app.
Motion Schedules allow you to disable Motion Alerts at certain times. If you’re not getting alerts, check your settings to ensure there’s no active Motion Schedule.
The angle your camera is mounted at could be another reason why you’re not getting alerts. If you have any steps leading up to your front door, try changing the angle so the camera is tilted down a bit. You can do this by adding a few washers behind the screws on the mounting brackets.
If you don’t have Ring notifications turned on, you won’t receive any Motion Alerts. The exact process will depend on what type of phone you own, but you can verify that you have both Motion Alerts and Ring Alerts through your device’s settings.
If your Ring camera is not connected to your Wi-Fi, you may not be getting notifications at all. Check your network signal by following the steps below:
- Open the Ring app, then navigate to the Device Health page.
- Select “Signal Strength.”
- Verify that your device is connected to Wi-Fi and has a strong signal.
You can increase the Motion Sensitivity through your Ring app. If the sensitivity is too low, it may not pick up on motion. To change your settings, follow these steps:
- Open the Ring app and tap the three lines on the top left of the screen.
- Select your video doorbell, then choose “Motion Settings.”
- Select “Motion Sensitivity,” then drag the slider to your desired level.
If you turn your phone’s “Do Not Disturb” option on, you won’t receive notifications of any kind, including Motion Alerts. Make sure to turn this off when you want to receive these alerts.
If all your settings are correct, resetting the doorbell may help. Here’s how to do it:
- Delete the Ring app from your phone, then reinstall it.
- Hold the black button on your Ring Doorbell down until the front light begins flashing.
- Once the process completes, press it again to set it back up.
- Login to your Ring app and see if Motion Alerts are now working.
In some cases, your Ring camera may just be broken or defective. Make sure all your motion settings are up to par, then try going outside and moving around in front of your camera. If it’s still not working, you may need to replace the device.
The version of the Ring app you’re using might be outdated. If it’s been a while since you updated it, this could be the reason you’re not getting Motion Alerts. Open your phone’s app store and see if there’s an update available.
Sometimes, restarting your phone will fix any glitches causing you to not receive Motion Alerts. Follow your phone’s directions for soft resetting, then see if you start receiving alerts again.
If all else fails, contact Ring’s support line. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue further, or send you a new camera if yours is defective.
If your Ring camera is not picking up on motion, or if you’re not getting motion alerts, there are many ways to troubleshoot the problem. However, if nothing works, your best bet is to contact Ring directly.