What to Do When You Lose Your Samsung Smart TV Remote?
A few years ago, if you lost your TV’s remote, you were out of luck. You could either run out and buy a new one or resign yourself to a life of changing the channel manually. However, with the advent of smart home entertainment, this no longer has to be the case. So, if you own a Samsung smart TV and happened to lose the remote, you’re in luck.
If users lose a Samsung smart TV remote, they can control it using the SmartThings app on their phone. This will allow them to adjust the volume, change the channel, and perform other functions. Users can also buy a replacement remote online, depending on what type of TV model was purchased.
Continue reading to learn more about downloading and using the SmartThings app to control your Samsung smart TV. We’ll also cover your remote replacement options and what can get you off your feet and back on the couch!
What to Do When You Lose Your Samsung Smart TV Remote
In general, you have three options for controlling your Samsung smart TV after losing the remote. You can:
Download the SmartThings App
The SmartThings app is not only a replacement for your remote; it can also control other smart devices in your home, such as your appliances and smart home assistants. But perhaps most importantly, it can be used to control your TV.
From there, you can connect your phone to your TV:
- Turn on your smart TV.
- Tap the plus sign icon and then select Device.
- Where it says, “By device type,” select your Samsung smart TV.
- In this order, select TV, Start, and Next.
- Choose your TV and press “done.”
For more information about connecting and renaming your Samsung smart TV, you can click here.
Connect Your TV to Your Smart Home Assistant
Google Home and Alexa are two of the most popular smart home assistants on today’s market. Both of them are compatible with your Samsung smart TV. You can command your smart home assistant to change the channel and carry out other functions.
To connect your Samsung smart TV to your Google Home, you will need to:
- Download the SmartThings and Google Home app.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap Settings, Assistant, and Home Control.
- Select the plus sign icon and select SmartThings.
Now, you can enter your Samsung TV’s credentials and tap “Authorize.”
To connect your Samsung smart TV to your Alexa, you will need to:
- Connect your TV to the SmartThings app.
- Download the Alexa app.
- Go to Menu, then Skills & Games.
- Enable SmartThings. Here you may need to connect it to your TV.
- Click Discover Devices, select your TV, and press “Done.”
You can click here for more information about connecting your Alexa to your Samsung smart TV.
Buy a New Remote
If you don’t want to use your phone to control your TV, you can buy a replacement online. You can choose from:
- The standard replacement remote: This will be the same one that you took out of the box. After inserting its batteries, it should work with your TV right away. This remote will work with all Samsung smart TVs.
- The OMAIC Universal Smart TV remote: This all-in-one remote allows you to change the volume, channel, and other settings. Just like the product featured above, it will work straight out of the box. It can also change channels in .03 seconds.
- Voice-command remote: This remote not only serves as a replacement but also allows you to make commands using your voice. According to Amazon reviewers, it is: “The closest you can get to the original.”
Before purchasing a new remote control, make sure that it is compatible with your TV.
What to Do if Your Samsung Smart TV Remote Doesn’t Work
If you find your remote or purchase a replacement, it may not always work as intended. Samsung guarantees all of its products, so if a factory defect prevents your remote from working, you could file a warranty claim and get a replacement.
However, before doing so, consider how the following measures could fix your problem:
- Replace the batteries. Your Samsung remote will require two AA batteries.
- Make sure that nothing is blocking the connection between your TV and the remote.
- Reset the remote and/or your TV.
- Make sure that you are within range of the TV while using the remote.
If you lose your Samsung smart TV’s remote, that is not a problem. You can use your phone to control it. You can also connect your TV to your smart home assistants or opt for a replacement.