By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The most important part of having a Blink Video Doorbell is making sure you can hear it chime in your house.
There are a few different chimes you can use with your Blink Doorbell, even if you don’t have an in-home chime box.
What Chimes Can Be Used with a Blink Doorbell?
With a traditional doorbell, you can only use a mechanical or digital doorbell chime. The Blink Video Doorbell gives you a few more options. You can use:
- Mechanical chimes
- Digital chimes
- Amazon Alexa
- The Blink Mini
Blink Doorbells can be run solely on battery power or wired to your home’s existing doorbell wires. If you already have doorbell wires, chances are you have some kind of chime box in your household.
A mechanical door chime is the typical “ding-dong” sound. You likely have this kind of chime box if you have an older home.
Blink Video Doorbells can be connected to a mechanical chime box, as long as it’s running an AC power current between 16-24 volts. They cannot be connected to transformers running DC currents.
If you don’t know how many volts your doorbell transformer is running, test it with a multimeter before connecting it to your Blink Doorbell.
Instead of a “ding dong” sound, a digital door chime emits a melody when you press your doorbell.
Like mechanical chimes, digital chime boxes can be connected to a Blink Doorbell as long as they’re running an AC power current between 16-24 volts. Blink Doorbells will not work with DC-powered digital chimes.
Most digital chimes don’t support this power level, but there are some wireless digital chimes available, like the OhmKat Wireless Universal Video Doorbell Chime.
How to Calibrate Your In-Home Doorbell Chime
The calibration method is similar for both mechanical and digital chimes. Immediately after installation, you will be led to the chime setup screen on the Blink app.
- Tap “Test Sound.”
- Listen to the test sound. If you’re satisfied with it, press “Yes.” If not, press “No” and adjust the volume to your liking.
- Wait for the Power Analysis to check your wiring for the correct voltage.
If everything is successful, you’ll see a green checkmark. Press “Continue” to be sent back to the home screen.
If your Blink Video Doorbell is your first doorbell and your home is not already set up with a doorbell transformer, you can run it solely on battery power and use any Alexa device as a doorbell chime.
After setting up your Blink Doorbell in the Blink app, follow the steps below to connect it to Alexa and use your Echo device as a doorbell chime:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap the More menu icon.
- Select “Skills and Games.”
- Type in “Blink” and select “Blink Smarthome.”
- Press “Enable to Use.”
- Log into your Blink account through the Alexa app.
- Press “Discover Devices” and find your Blink Doorbell.
- Go to “Devices” and locate your Blink Doorbell under “Cameras.”
- Press the settings icon in the top right corner.
- Tap “Announcement Devices” and select your Echo device.
- Turn on “Doorbell Press Announcements.”
To test the connection, press your Blink Doorbell button and see if you can hear it chime on Alexa.
How to Change Your Doorbell’s Chime on Alexa
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap the “Devices” tab and select “Cameras.”
- Choose your Blink Video Doorbell.
- Press the settings icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap “Doorbell Sound” and choose your desired chime.
You can browse through the pre-loaded chimes, or use a custom chime.
If you have a Blink Mini Camera, you can use it as a chime for your Blink Video Doorbell. It works with as many Blink Minis as you have in your home, so you can strategically place them to ensure you hear your Doorbell no matter where you are.
You can do this with or without a Sync Module — you just need both the Video Doorbell and the Blink Mini.
- Set both devices up in the Blink app.
- Open your Video Doorbell’s “Device Settings.”
- Select “Doorbell and Chime.”
- Press “Use Blink Mini Camera as a Chime.”
- Select as many Mini Cameras as you’d like to use as chimes.
- Tap “Save.” If your Blink Doorbell is in Event Response mode, press your Doorbell button to save the changes instead.
Remember that, whenever the chime is playing on your Mini Camera, it won’t record any motion or enter Live View.
Adjust Your Chime Settings
After setting up your Blink Doorbell to ring on your Blink Mini, you can adjust your chime settings on the Blink app to ensure you always hear the chime when someone presses the doorbell button.
- Open the Blink app.
- Select your Blink Mini and open the “Device Settings.”
- Tap “Audio Settings.”
- Make sure “Enable Audio” is toggled on.
- Adjust your “Ringer Volume” until the chime is loud enough for you to hear.
FAQ: What Chime Can I Use with Blink Doorbells?
How Long Does the Blink Doorbell Chime Last?
The Blink Doorbell chime will last for a maximum of 60 seconds. You can adjust your settings in the Blink app for a shorter chime, but not a longer one.
Will Blink Doorbell Chime Work if the Power Goes Out?
Does Blink Make Their Own Chime?
Blink does not currently make their own Blink chime.
Are Blink Doorbells Compatible with the Ring Chime?
Blink Doorbells are not directly compatible with the Ring Chime. However, if you link your Ring Chime and Blink Doorbell to Alexa, you can create a routine for it to ring when someone presses your Blink Doorbell.
For this to work, you need a Ring Doorbell and Ring Motion Alarm.
Why Can’t I Hear a Blink Doorbell Inside the House?
If you can’t hear your Blink Doorbell inside your house, it’s probably because of calibration or connectivity issues. To fix it, you can try:
- Adjusting the Doorbell’s chime settings
- Adjusting the Doorbell’s sound settings
- Making sure the Doorbell is properly connected to your Sync Module