Keeping track of a remote can often be a hassle. They are so tiny, constantly getting lost between couch cushions or under the sheets. If you’ve recently lost the remote to your LG smart TV, you may be wondering whether you can still use the device without a remote.
LG smart TVs can be completely controlled without a remote using the LG ThinQ app. Install the app on your phone and go through the setup questions. Then link the TV under the Home Appliances section and enter in the code shown on your TV.
In this article, we will go over all the steps of installing the LG ThinQ app and how to use it to control your TV. We will also go over some other methods of using the TV without a remote.
How Can I Use the LG Smart TV Without a Remote?
Before being able to use the app, the TV will need to be turned on. If you have lost the remote, you can turn the LG smart TV on by pressing and holding down the physical TV’s power button.
- Download the ThinQ app. After downloading, launch the app. Connect your phone or tablet that has the app to the same network that the TV uses. Otherwise, this method will not work.
- Press the + symbol. It should be at the top of the screen. The app will then prompt you with certain questions. After providing your information, click OK.
- Go to the Home Appliances page. You will be able to see all the devices that can be connected to the app. Click TV.
- Select your LG TV. The app will take a few moments to scan all the devices that are nearby. Make sure the correct TV is selected.
- Enter verification code. A code will appear on your TV. Enter it into the app on the phone and click OK.
- Go back to the homepage. Once you navigate to home, all your TV controls will show on the phone. You can now use it as you would use the regular remote.
Can I Control My LG Smart TV with a Different App?
If you can’t use the LG ThinQ app, some other app options can be downloaded from the app store to help you control your TV without the remote. Some of the most popular apps are outlined below.
- Universal TV Remote Control – This app is the most basic and can be used with any TV. It needs WI-FI to be able to work. It is the best option if you have cable and need to scroll through channels.
- Android TV Remote – This app also uses WI-FI to connect to the TV. It can only control Android-powered TVs, though, and on Android phones. It is a great choice for people who like to use voice control features.
- Amazon Fire TV Remote – An Amazon Fire is needed to use this remote. The app will allow you full control of both the TV and the Amazon Fire TV box. Apple app users can also use this one.
Can I Use My Streaming Device to Control My LG Smart TV?
Streaming devices such as the Amazon Fire TV Stick allow you to control most of your TV’s functions only using the fire stick. This means the TV remote or an app may not be fully needed. Other streaming devices such as Apple TV can also be used in place of a remote.
- Grab your Amazon Fire remote.
- Press the home button.
- Wait for the TV to turn on.
With these simple steps, the TV automatically turns on and goes to the Amazon homepage. If you want to access your TV’s cable or other features, an app or a replacement remote will be needed.
Apple TV can also be used the same as the Amazon Fire Stick.
Control Your LG Smart TV with Xbox One
The Xbox One is the most advanced device and can control the whole TV, not just the Xbox features. Turn the TV and the Xbox on, then follow these simple steps:
- Click Settings.
- Click TV and OneGuide Menu.
- Select Device Control.
- Choose your TV Brand (LG).
- Click Automatic.
- Choose Send Command. This will mute the TV. Click “Yes” once the TV is muted.
- Press the B Button and then Power Settings.
- Choose “Xbox One turns on and turns off my devices.”
Now you will be able to power the TV on and off with Xbox One as well as change the volume and channels.
If you’ve accidentally misplaced your LG smart TV’s remote, don’t worry; you have plenty of options for controlling your device without it.
While the easiest alternative is downloading and using the LG ThinQ app, you could also use various other apps or a streaming device. Even an Xbox One can help you get reconnected to your smart TV so you can access your favorite features and apps again.