When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you own an older or non-smart Samsung TV, you probably won’t be able to download the Apple TV app directly from the Samsung app store. However, there are ways you can still watch Apple TV content.
How to Watch Apple TV on an Older Samsung TV
Non-smart Samsung TVs, as well as most Samsung TVs made before 2017, cannot download the Apple TV app directly.
Although Samsung now makes most of their TVs compatible with Apple TV, you’ll need to take a few extra steps to get the Apple TV app on older Samsung TVs.
1. Use a Streaming Device
The easiest way to watch Apple TV content on your older Samsung TV is to connect a streaming device that supports the Apple TV app.
The easiest is, of course, using an Apple TV box.
- Plug your Apple TV into a power outlet.
- Connect your Apple TV to your Samsung TV using the HDMI port.
- Turn on your Samsung TV and change the input to HDMI.
- Follow the prompts to set up your Apple TV.
- Open the Apple TV+ app.
If you don’t have an Apple TV already, you can also connect one of the following devices and download the Apple TV app:
The biggest advantage of using a streaming device is that you can access other streaming services in one convenient location.
Watch Apple TV on a Roku Device
You can connect any Roku device to your Samsung TV, and as long as it’s compatible with the Apple TV app, you can download it and watch your favorite Apple TV content.
- Plug your Roku into a power outlet.
- Connect your Roku to your Samsung TV using the included HDMI cable.
- Once the Roku boots up, press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Use the search function to type in “Apple TV.”
- Select the Apple TV app and press “Add Channel.”
- Open the Apple TV app and sign into your account.
Watch Apple TV on Amazon Fire TV
Amazon makes a couple of streaming devices, including the FireStick and Fire TV Cube. If you have either of these devices, follow the steps below to download the Apple TV app:
- Connect your Fire TV device to your Samsung TV.
- Select the Search icon from the Fire TV home screen.
- Type in “Apple TV.”
- Select the Apple TV app.
- Press “Get.”.
- Open the app and sign into your Apple TV account.
Get Apple TV on Chromecast Google TV
Traditional Chromecast devices only give Samsung TVs casting abilities. But, newer Chromecast devices with Google TV built-in allow you to download the Apple TV app.
- Connect your Chromecast device to your Samsung TV.
- Open the Google TV home screen.
- Select the “Apps” tab.
- Use the Search tool and type in “Apple TV.”
- Select and download the app.
If you have a basic Chromecast device, you can cast Apple TV from another device.
2. Hook Up a Gaming Console
Maybe you don’t have a streaming device, but you do have a PS4 or Xbox One! Another way to access Apple TV on an older Samsung TV is to download the app on a gaming console.
Watch Apple TV on a PS4 or PS5
The PS4 and PS5 both have the Apple TV app available for download. If you have either of these consoles, you can follow these steps to stream Apple TV content on your older Samsung TV:
- Turn on your PlayStation.
- If you have a PS5, open the “Media Hub.” If you have a PS4, open “TV & Video.”
- Search for and select “Apple TV.”
- Download the Apple TV app.
Watch Apple TV on an Xbox
Three Xbox models allow you to download the Apple TV app:
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series S
- Xbox Series X
If you have any of these Xbox consoles, follow the steps below to download the Apple TV app:
- Turn your Xbox on.
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Click on the Search box and type in “Apple TV.”
- Select the Apple TV app when it pops up, then press “Install.”
3. Hook a Laptop up to Your Samsung TV
If you don’t have a streaming device or gaming console, the last option is to hook your laptop up to your Samsung TV with an HDMI cable.
- Connect one end of an HDMI cable to your laptop and the other to one of your TV’s HDMI ports.
- Change your TV’s input to “HDMI.”
- Open your laptop’s Display settings.
- Select “Advanced Display Settings.”
- Find the drop-down menu that lets you select your computer’s display. The options you’ll have here may vary, but on most, you can select either “Duplicate” or “Second Screen.”
On newer Windows computers, you can quickly duplicate your screen by pressing Windows + P on your keyboard.
Once you see your laptop’s screen on your Samsung TV, open Apple TV on your web browser and select the show you want to play.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Watch Apple TV on a TV without an HDMI Port?
Most of the devices you can use to watch Apple TV on an older Samsung TV can only be connected through an HDMI port.
If you have a particularly old Samsung TV without an HDMI port, you can purchase an HDMI to RCA adapter and connect the device through your TV’s RCA ports.
Can You Use AirPlay on an Older Samsung TV?
Even if you can’t download the Apple TV app, you may be able to use AirPlay on an older Samsung TV. However, it needs to be a Smart TV.
To find out if you can use AirPlay, follow the steps below:
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Select “Settings,” then press “All Settings.”
- Press “General.”
- See if you find “Apple AirPlay Settings.”
If you see this, you can AirPlay Apple TV content from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to your Samsung TV. If not, you won’t be able to use this method.
What Samsung TVs Can Get Apple TV?
You can download the Apple TV app on select Samsung Smart TV models made after 2017. These include:
- Select UHD models
- Select 4K and 8K QLED models
- Samsung Serif Series
- Samsung The Frame Series
- Samsung The Sero Series
The easiest way to find out if your Samsung Smart TV supports Apple TV is to search for it in the app store.
How to Download Apple TV on a Samsung Smart TV
If you have a newer Samsung Smart TV, you’ll probably be able to find the Apple TV app in the Samsung app store.
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Select “Apps.”
- Locate the search bar and type in “Apple TV.”