LG’s lineup of smart TVs—especially GX, CX, and BX OLED models—consistently rank amongst the best TVs on the market. With over 200 apps, LG TVs come equipped to satisfy most of your streaming needs. However, does that include Spectrum?
Unfortunately, LG smart TVs cannot get the Spectrum app. It’s not compatible with LG’s WebOS. That’s not to say that something won’t change in the future. As for now, you’ll have to consider several workarounds.
LG smart TVs are consistently updated, including Apple’s Airplay 2, which is compatible with LG smart TVs from 2018 to current versions. Roku is in the middle of a spat with Spectrum—because they simply had to outdo Direct TV and Dish Network—and is no longer a feasible workaround. With that said, below, we’ll cover a few other options you have for getting the Spectrum app on your LG smart TV.
Workarounds to Get the Spectrum App on LG Smart TV
Fortunately, there are still some workarounds to get Spectrum on your LG smart TV:
If you own an Xbox One that stays connected to your LG smart TV, you can download the Spectrum app on that device.
Does this mean Spectrum is also available on Sony PlayStation? Not exactly. Sony prefers their own PlayStation Vue streaming service, which no longer exists. But, they prefer that anyway, because apparently, that’s good business.
Amazon Fire Stick
With your Fire Stick plugged into the LG’s USB/HDMI port, select Search on the homepage. Simply type in Spectrum TV, select it, and begin the download.
When the download is complete, open the Spectrum TV app and sign in. You’re all set.
Out of the list of ways to stream Spectrum TV on an LG, the Fire Stick and Xbox One are probably the simplest and most convenient methods.
If you own an Apple TV HD or 4K box, the process for getting Spectrum is the same for either. Additionally, aside from cosmetics and the functions of different operating systems, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Fire Stick all follow the same process.
With your Apple TV, go to the App Store and search for Spectrum TV. When it pops up, select it, and then select Get. Once it finishes downloading, you can now access Spectrum, sign in, and start watching on your LG smart TV.
The Airplay 2 is a novel workaround, and if you own an LG smart TV model that’s 2018 or later, Airplay is supported.
- Start by downloading Spectrum directly from the app store on your iPhone or iPad. Once you’ve done that, make sure that your LG TV and iPhone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your LG remote, press the Home button to bring up the menu on your TV. Scroll over to Home Dashboard and press Up on your remote. This will bring up a new menu where Airplay is a selectable option.
- Select Airplay. A new display will pop up with Airplay and HomeKit Settings for you to select. You’ll then see a screen with your LG smart TV’s identification code. Hit Enter and then make sure Airplay is turned on.
- Now you’ll switch to your iPhone and swipe down from the top right to bring up your control panel. Select Screen Mirroring. You’ll see a menu with your LG TV available to select. Press it, and a code will show up on your TV. Enter the code on your iPhone.
From here on out, everything you do on your iPhone will be reflected on your LG TV. Now, you can open the Spectrum TV app and play Spectrum on your LG smart TV.
As mentioned above, Chromecast sets up similar to Fire Stick and Apple TV.
- Once your Chromecast is plugged into your HDMI port, select Google Home on your Android.
- Select your Chromecast Device.
- Press Cast My Screen followed by Start Now.
Now your Android device should be mirrored on your LG TV. Open your Spectrum TV app and enjoy the show.
Of course, you can also use Chromecast on an iPhone. After downloading the app, make sure you’ve synced your Gmail account, and everything else will function the same.
Once Spectrum and Roku get over their little rift—three months and still going—the setup with Roku is relatively simple: Find Streaming Channels in the home section, do a search for Spectrum TV and add it when it pops up.
As LG smart TVs continue to advance and add more features, popular apps like Spectrum TV—second in popularity amongst cable cutting options—will likely be included when Spectrum and LG get around the WebOS.
Until then, it’s nice to know there are multiple options available if you’re a subscriber to Spectrum TV and want to watch your favorite movies and shows on your LG smart TV.