By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Blink has an impressive lineup of smart security cameras. If you need to keep an eye on the outside of your home, the Blink Outdoor Camera is a great choice. But, you do need a Sync Module for it to work properly.
Can You Use a Blink Outdoor Camera Without a Sync Module?
You need to connect your Blink Outdoor Camera to a Sync Module to take advantage of the camera’s smart features. By itself, your Blink Outdoor Camera is just a camera—and nothing more.
Blink Outdoor Cameras don’t come with built-in internet connectivity. Instead, the Sync Module serves as a middleman between your camera and router, allowing it to connect to the internet.
Without the Sync Module, you cannot connect your Outdoor Camera to Wi-Fi, nor will you be able to use your camera with the Blink app.
How to Set Up the Sync Module for a Blink Outdoor Camera
Once you have your Blink Outdoor Camera and Sync Module 2 ready to go, you can set both devices up and use them with the Blink app.
- Download the Blink app on your smartphone.
- Create an account or log into your existing account.
- Select the “+ sign.”
- Select “Sync Module.”
- Scan the QR code or enter the module’s serial number again.
- Select your Blink system or create a new one.
- Tap “Discover Device.” Your Sync Module also needs to have a flashing blue and green pattern.
- Join the Sync Module to its temporary WiFi network.
- Enter your WiFI details and click on “Join.”
- Blink will now start the connection process.
- Select “Done.”
Once the Sync Module establishes a connection to your Wi-Fi network, press “Done.” Now, you can add your Blink Outdoor Camera to the new system.
- Go back to the Blink app home screen and tap the “+” icon in the top-right corner.
- Select “Blink Wireless Camera.”
- Scan the QR code on the back of your Outdoor Camera.
The camera should sync to your system automatically from here.
Blink Sync Module vs. Sync Module 2
There are two Blink Sync Modules available:
- Sync Module: Comes with Blink legacy cameras, including the Blink XT2.
- Sync Module 2: Available as an add-on for newer Blink cameras and sometimes included with the Blink Outdoor Camera.
All Blink Cameras work with both Sync Modules. However, you’ll only find the Sync Module 2 available for purchase online.
Compared to the original Sync Module, the Sync Module 2 is much faster and more responsive. It also offers both local and cloud storage, while the original Sync Module only has cloud storage.
The Sync Module 1 offers 7,200 seconds of free cloud storage. You need a Blink subscription to get cloud storage with the Sync Module 2, but you can save videos locally without a subscription.
Besides these slight differences, both Sync Modules work almost exactly the same. They can both support up to 10 Blink Cameras at once.
FAQ: Can I Use a Blink Outdoor Camera Without a Sync Module?
Do Any Blink Cameras Not Need a Sync Module?
Currently, there are three Blink indoor and outdoor cameras that work without a Sync Module 2. These include:
While you can use a Sync Module 2 with all these devices, it’s not required for the camera to connect to the internet.
If you don’t use a Sync Module, I recommend signing up for a Blink subscription plan to get the most out of your Blink camera.
Will a New Blink Camera Work with an Old Sync Module?
New Blink Cameras can be connected to an old Sync Module if you already have a legacy device in your Blink System.
You can follow the same steps to connect your camera to an old Sync Module as you would to connect a Blink Camera to a Sync Module 2.
I Can’t Connect My Blink Outdoor Camera to My Sync Module
If you’re having a problem connecting your Outdoor Camera to your Sync Module, these troubleshooting tips may help:
- Restart your router. This is the best place to start if you’re having trouble connecting to the internet on other devices.
- Reset your Sync Module. You can do this by holding down the device’s reset button for five seconds.
- Go through the setup process again. If rebooting your router and resetting your Sync Module doesn’t help, restart the Blink app and attempt to set your camera up again.
If nothing else works, contact Blink’s customer service hotline at 781-332-5465.