When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you live in an apartment building or simply don’t want to drill holes into an exterior wall or door frame, you may consider mounting your Ring Doorbell with Command Strips or double-sided tape.
Ring does not recommend using command strips or double-sided tape to install your Ring Doorbell. Permanent mounting techniques better protect your doorbell from falls and theft.
Can Command Strips Hold a Ring Doorbell?
The Ring Doorbell weighs approximately 1.1 lbs, and a single pair of large Command Strips can hold up to four pounds.
While Command Strips can support the weight of a Ring Doorbell, Ring recommends against this installation method.
There are some water-resistant Command Strips available, but high humidity and frequent water contact can loosen their grip on your wall or door frame. This increases the risk of your doorbell sustaining damage from a fall.
Apart from fall risks, mounting a Ring Doorbell with Command Strips also increases the risk of your doorbell being stolen. It’s tough to pull Command Strips off a wall, but removing the velcro strips from each other is easy.
If someone wanted to steal your Ring Doorbell, all they’d have to do is lift it from the strip.
Should I Mount a Ring Doorbell with Double-Sided Tape?
Mounting your Ring Doorbell with double-sided tape is a little more secure than mounting with Command Strips, but it’s still not the best installation method. Because it’s not permanent, it’s still possible for your Ring Doorbell to fall or be stolen.
If you’re determined to mount your Ring Doorbell with double-sided tape, use one of the following for the most secure hold:
Securely Mounting Your Ring Doorbell Without Drilling
The mount itself uses an adhesive, and the doorbell is screwed into the mount. Although it’s not as secure as drilling, this mount is a better alternative to command strips or double-sided tape.
The No-Drill Mount is a good option for most smooth surfaces. However, the No-Drill Mount is not recommended for glass or uneven surfaces, including:
Here’s how you can install the No-Drill Mount:
- Wipe the mounting surface down with multi-purpose cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth.
- Remove the plastic cover and attach the adhesive pad to the back of the mount.
- Use the included level to find an even spot to attach the No-Drill Mounting Plate. For best results, choose a spot approximately 4 feet from the ground.
- Firmly press the No-Drill Mount on your desired surface. Hold it in place for about a minute to tighten the grip.
- Let the mount sit in place for a few hours.
- Screw your Ring Doorbell onto the mount.
Other Anti-Theft Ring Doorbell Mounts
Apart from the No-Drill Mount, there are several other Ring Doorbell mounts available that reduce or eliminate the risk of someone stealing your Doorbell. Some of the best include:
- Bleu Clair Anti-Theft Doorbell Mount. This mount is constructed with metal and attaches directly to your front door — no drilling required.
- PUUUCI Anti-Theft Doorbell Mount. This mount can be adjusted between 45° and 135° for the best viewing angle.
- LIONONLY Anti-Theft Doorbell Mount. This doorbell mount securely attaches to doors 1.1” to 2” thick with an adjustable clip.
Installing a Ring Doorbell in an Apartment
Some landlords prohibit Ring Doorbells altogether, while others just don’t allow you to drill into your door frame.
If your building allows Ring Doorbells but won’t let you drill into your wall or door frame, you have a couple of options. You could use the No-Drill Mount or another non-permanent installation method, or you could purchase the Ring Peephole Cam.
The Peephole Cam replaces a traditional peephole and works similarly to a Ring Doorbell. There’s no drilling required, and because it attaches to both the inside and outside of your door, it can’t be easily stolen like other Ring Doorbells.
FAQ: Mounting a Ring Doorbell
What Do I Do if My Ring Doorbell Has Been Stolen?
Stolen Ring Doorbells cannot be traced, which usually means they can’t be recovered. But, Ring will usually replace stolen doorbells for free. To get a replacement, make sure to:
- Report the theft to the police.
- Take photos of the theft site and request a copy of the police report.
- Report the theft to Ring on this page.
- Send the police report and related photos to [email protected] within 15 days.
What Materials Can You Mount a Ring Doorbell on?
The Ring Doorbell can be mounted on any material. However, different materials require different installation methods for the best results.