There are multiple ways to connect your Google Nest Mini to your TV without using a Chromecast device. If you want to use the device as an external speaker, you could pair it with your TV using Bluetooth. If you want your Nest Mini to change the channel or volume on your TV, you could use a Wi-Fi-enabled remote or downloaded app to connect.
Continue reading to learn more about connecting your Google Nest Mini to your TV without using Chromecast. If successful, you can forget about using your remote and rely on your smart home assistant instead.
How to Connect Your Google Nest Mini to Your TV
It is possible to use your Google Nest Mini as a Bluetooth speaker for your TV. How to do so, however, will largely depend on what type of TV you have. For instance, if you have a Samsung smart TV, you would pair your device by doing the following:
- Go to “Settings.”
- Choose “Sound.”
- Tap “Sound Output.”
- Select Bluetooth, find your Google Nest Mini, and pair your two devices.
If you have a Roku smart TV, you would connect your devices by going into the Google Home app. From here:
- Tap the “+” in the top right-hand corner.
- Choose “Set up device.”
- Choose “Have something already set up?”
- Select the magnifying glass and search for “Roku.”
- Choose “Roku.”
- Sign in to your Roku account.
If you don’t have a Roku TV, you might have the Roku Streaming Stick+. In this case, you would follow the instructions above and link your Google Nest Mini accordingly.
If You Don’t Have a Smart TV
If you bought your TV within the last couple of years, it probably lets you pair to an external Bluetooth speaker. If not, however, you can buy the TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, which will allow you to use Bluetooth capabilities on your TV.
This device would emit a Bluetooth signal to which you could pair your Google Nest Mini. Simply plug the transmitter’s aux cord into your TV, power it on, and proceed with setting up a connection as you would with any Bluetooth device.
Using a Wi-Fi Enabled Remote or App to Connect
You basically have two options when it comes to using your Google Nest Mini to control your TV. As mentioned earlier, if you already have a smart TV, you can probably accomplish this by going into your TV’s settings. However, you could also:
- Buy a Wi-Fi-enabled remote. This would allow you to “sync” your Google Home device and your TV. You have a variety of options when looking for one online.
- Use an app. If you have a Roku or Samsung TV, you could download an app that serves as a Wi-Fi-enabled remote. Your options depend on what type of phone you have. For instance, if you have an iPhone, you could download the Roomie Universal Remote program from the app store. If you have an Android, you could use Quick Remote for Roku & Alexa, which you can get from the Google Play store.
Troubleshooting Tips for Connecting Your Device to Your TV
If you’re trying to connect your devices via Bluetooth, make sure that both of them have this feature enabled. This may require you to go into your TV’s settings, as well as the settings on your mobile device.
Also, make sure that all of your devices are on the same Wi-Fi network, as this could help you get and maintain a better connection.
Consider Using Chromecast to Connect
If you want your Google Nest Mini to serve as an extension to your TV, you should consider getting Chromecast. This device costs under $30 and allows you to:
- Mirror your phone’s screen
- Change the channel and volume through your smart home device
- “Cast” apps like Hulu, YouTube, and Netflix to your TV
- Allow you to browse the internet on your TV via your phone
- Respond to voice commands when paired with your Google Nest Mini
One of the best things about Chromecast is that it can transform virtually any TV into a “smart” TV. You would also spend just as much on a Chromecast as you would on a third-party Wi-Fi-enabled remote. It is also compatible with other Google products, like Google Home.
You can connect your Google Nest Mini to your TV without Chromecast. For example, you can use Bluetooth to use your product as a speaker. To change the channel or volume, you would need to download an app or purchase a third-party remote.
However, to enhance your user experience, you should consider getting Chromecast, as this will allow your Google-compatible devices to “talk” to each other.