How to Use Google Nest Mini with Chromecast
If you own a Google Chromecast, you are probably aware of all the amazing things it can do to make streaming music and movies easier. And if you recently purchased a Google Nest Mini, you may be wondering how you can connect the two or if you can use them together.
The Google Nest Mini is meant to work as a hub for your home, so you can use the device with Chromecast. Below, we’ll cover all the steps required to connect and use the two devices together.
How to Connect Google Nest Mini to Chromecast
To set up your Google Nest Mini in the app:
- Plug in the Google Nest Mini to an electrical outlet.
- Use your smartphone or tablet to download the Google Home app if you don’t already have it.
- Open the Google Home App and make sure you’re logged into your account.
- Tap the + icon.
- Tap Set Up Device.
- Tap New Device.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
If you have never set up a device before, the Set Up button might not automatically show. In this case, follow these steps:
- In the Google Home app, tap Get Started.
- Select Setup New Devices.
- Tap Create Another Home.
- Tap Next.
- Enter in a home name and the address if requested.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to continue to add your device.
You’ll also need to make sure your Chromecast is connected to your Google Home app. To learn how to set up Chromecast in the app, read this article.
Once both devices are registered in your Google Home app, you can connect them. To link your Google Home Mini with Chromecast, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Home app on your smart device.
- Select the Menu button in the top left corner.
- Tap More Settings.
- Select TV & Speakers.
- On the bottom right corner, select the Add button.
- Wait a few moments while it detects all the Chromecast devices around you.
- Your Google Nest Mini will show up on the list of available devices. Select it.
You should now be able to use all the voice commands and features on your Google Nest Mini with the Chromecast.
How to Use Google Nest Mini with Chromecast
You can use voice commands on the Google Nest Mini to stream content through Chromecast. Always start by saying, “Hey, Google.” Then try some of the following commands:
- “Start Netflix.”
- “Start playing <name of TV show>.”
- “Turn on subtitles.”
You can also control the volume, pause, and play features with voice commands.
Why Isn’t My Chromecast Connecting to My Google Nest Mini?
If your Google Nest Mini doesn’t seem to be connecting to Wi-Fi or your Chromecast, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure the Mini and the Chromecast are within 20 feet of each other, preferably no more than 15 feet.
- Make sure the Google Home App and Chromecast are using the same Wi-Fi network.
- Ensure that you are trying to connect to the right Wi-Fi network in your home.
- Double-check that the password you are entering for your network is correct.
If everything looks good, you might need to reboot the device. Use the Google Home App, select Settings, select More, and then select Reboot.
Chromecast Not Playing Music
If your Google Nest Mini is having problems playing music through Chromecast, you can try the following tips:
- Make sure that the accounts are linked in the Google Home App. You will need to separately set up any additional music accounts like Spotify or Pandora.
- If the accounts are active, check their individual settings to see that they have Google Nest Mini enabled.
- Try resetting the account connections.
- Clear the history or caches of the music apps that you use.
- Follow the reboot steps above if all else fails.
Google Nest Mini Not Responding to Voice Commands
One of the most common problems with the Google Nest Mini/Chromecast connection is that the Google Nest Mini might not always respond to your commands or hear your voice. Check the following troubleshooting tips below:
- Check the volume levels in the app and make sure they are turned up.
- Make sure the mic is enabled on the side switch on the device itself.
- Keep the Google Nest Mini in a quiet area away from other signals, appliances, or vents.
- Try rebooting the device.
- A factory reset might be necessary for voice command issues.
The Google Nest Mini can easily be set up with Chromecast by using the Google Home App. Go into Menu and then Settings. From there, find the option for TVs and Speakers, then click Add New Device. The app should now walk you through all the steps to complete the setup.