The advent of smart technologies is fast changing the way we interact, not just with humans but our home appliances. From smart showers to smart refrigerators, the modern home is now more of an interactive space than just a living space. Google is at the forefront of this transformation, with Google Home (sometimes referred to as Google Nest).
Google Home is a range of smart speakers that allow users to seamlessly interact with other smart appliances in their homes through the help of the Google Home Assistant. While there is no direct method for changing the ownership of a Google Home Device, users can simply create a new home and add users or devices from an existing home.
With the growing need to promote safety, sustainability, and seamless communication with family and appliances, individuals around the globe are turning to Google Home devices for support. In the following sections of this article, you will discover what Google Home devices are all about and how you can change your device’s ownership.
What is Google Home?
With the introduction of the Amazon Echo, tech giant Google created the Google Home to rival the supremacy of Amazon in the smart speaker sphere. Google Home is a smart speaker that employs the use of artificial intelligence (AI) to not only answer your question but enables you to interact with your home environment (home devices).
Changing the Ownership of Your Google Home Devices
There may be several reasons why you may decide to change the ownership of your Google Home devices. To change your Home device ownership, you must first remove your account from the device via the Google Home app to create room for a new owner.
The first step to changing ownership of your Google Home device is to remove your home device from an existing home. Follow the steps below to remove your devices from a Home:
- Log in to the Google Home app. If you have multiple homes, search and select the specific home that you would love to change its ownership.
- Tap the devices you may want to remove from the home.
- Select setting on the top right corner, scroll down to remove the specific device.
The next step is to set up a new home. Creating a new home allows you to create a personalized account with your email account and details:
- Plug in your Google Home.
- Open the Google Home app (You can download the Google Home app on Google Play store for Android. If you are an Apple device user, you will need to download the Google Assistant app.
- Log in with your Google account information (email details) or create a new one if you want to switch ownership to a different user.
- The Google Home app will automatically scan for available home devices nearby that are turned on and connect successfully to it.
- Tap on set up a device.
- Click on create a new home or another home.
- Click on the devices you want to add and their location.
- Enter your Wi-Fi information and password.
- Now click on confirm. You have successfully changed the ownership of your Google Home device.
However, with the recent Google update to its home devices, especially with the introduction of the Nest versions, there is quite a lot of similarity in terms of permissions between the ‘owner’ and the ‘all access users.’ The only difference is that only the individual assigned with the ‘owner status’ can edit billing information or cancel a subscription.
How to Add New Users to Your Google Home Device
After switching the ownership status of your Google Home devices, you may want to re-add existing users in your household to the newly created home. Below is a step-by-step method to help you add more users to your Google Home:
- Open your Google Home app.
- Once you’re signed in, click on the device button and tap the action overflow icon.
- Next, select the setting icon and a pop up will show on your screen informing you that multi-user is now available.
- Once you have activated the multi-user feature, you should click on the shared device. This should help you train your Google Home to detect your voice and that of your household users.
- Tap on the invite icon to send out invites to your potential users to enable them to create their account and match their voice.
- Manage the accounts on your Google Home app. You can decide to add or remove users and change the settings at any point in time.
Remember that your newly added users will have similar permission and control over the devices, just like you, the owner. They can add or remove users and change the device settings.
Whether you’re passing on your device to a friend or family member to own or simply want to make another roommate or member of the household the sole user, the above guide should help you do this seamlessly.