Having an LG TV is an easy way to stream all your favorite shows and movies. Connecting the LG TV to Wi-Fi and setting it up is extremely easy with a remote, but sometimes you might not have access to a remote. You can still set up the TV in other ways though.
The easiest way to connect the LG TV without a remote is by using a USB mouse. Plug it into the TV and press the small button under the LG logo on the TV. This will change the input of the TV and you start using the mouse as a remote.
You might still be wondering exactly how to use the mouse to connect to the Wi-Fi and other remote settings. We will go over the exact steps of this article. We will also discuss some other options for connecting the TV without a remote.
Connect a USB Mouse to Your LG TV
Follow these steps to connect a USB mouse to your LG TV:
- Step 1: Plug the mouse into the USB port on the TV.
- Step 2: Press the small button on the center of the TV under the LG logo.
- Step 3: Toggle it into Input.
- Step 4: Connect the mouse.
Now that you have the mouse connected, you can use it to connect the TV to Wi-Fi.
Connecting Your LG TV to Wi-Fi Using a USB Mouse
Follow these steps to connect your LG TV to Wi-Fi using a USB mouse:
- Step 1: Click on Live TV.
- Step 2: Wait for the menu to close.
- Step 3: Move the mouse all the way to the right until a sidebar pops up.
- Step 4: Click Recommended.
- Step 5: Choose Network Disconnected.
- Step 6: When the pop-up comes up, click Yes.
- Step 7: Wait until the network settings pop up.
- Step 8: Enter in the details of your Wi-Fi including password and username.
Your TV should now be connected to the Wi-Fi, and you can use the smart features on the TV.
Using Your Smartphone as a Remote for Your LG TV
The USB mouse will allow you to connect to the Wi-Fi, but you cannot use the mouse as a remote. The good thing is that if you have an LG Smart TV, you can use your smartphone as a remote and use it just like you would the smart magic remote.
Keep in mind that you can’t use the smartphone as a remote until after the TV is connected to the remote. You need to use the USB mouse before you try to use your smartphone.
Make sure your smartphone is on the same Wi-Fi network as the TV. Without being on the same network, they will not work. Then, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Search for the Smartify LG TV Remote on the app store on your phone. They have it on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
- Step 2: Open up once it’s installed and click on the alert.
- Step 3: Click OK when the message shows Smartify would like to find and connect to devices on your local network.
- Step 4: It should automatically find the TV and connect.
Once connected, you can use the app to control the TV channels, control the volume, and change settings. You will still need to use the USB mouse to change Wi-Fi settings or disconnect from the Wi-Fi though.
Connect to the LG TV Using an Ethernet Cable
This is an easy method to connect the TV to the internet if you don’t want to buy a USB mouse. You will need an ethernet cable though, which many people have around their house already. To use this method, your TV will need to have a LAN ethernet port.
If it doesn’t have a LAN ethernet port, you can still connect one end to the TV and the other end to a spare LAN port on the back of your router.
Once you have both ends of an ethernet cable plugged in, your LG TV should automatically connect to the internet. If not, follow these tips:
- Step 1: Unplug the TV from the outlet for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 2: Plug it back into the TV.
- Step 3: Reboot the router.
- Step 4: Ensure the router is on and working.
- Step 5: Use one of your devices to see if it’s connected to the router to prove the Wi-Fi is working.
Keep in mind you will have to have the router close enough to the TV to connect them together with the cable. This can be inconvenient if they are far apart, and you get stuck having to move them closer together.
Get a New Remote for Your LG TV
If you want to use a traditional remote, you can always buy a new one:
- Directly from the LG store.
- From Amazon
- From tech stores or other places that sell LG accessories
If you have a DirecTV remote rather than the LG TV’s remote, you can connect it to the TV by following the steps found in this article, “How to Program DirecTV Remote for LG TV”
The easiest way to connect the TV is by using a USB mouse, but there are some methods too. You can always buy a new remote or use an ethernet cable to get connected to the internet.