Can LG TV Use a Mobile Hotspot?
If your wifi has gone down or you want to be able to access your smart LG TV’s features even without it, you may have considered using a mobile hotspot as an alternative. Still, can you actually connect an LG TV to the internet using only a mobile hotspot, or is some wifi still required?
You can connect an LG TV to a mobile hotspot the same way you would connect it to your wifi. First you have to set up the hotspot on your smart device. After that you simply need to connect to your hotspot through the TV the same way you would a regular wifi connection.
If you would like a detailed, step by step guide on how to make a mobile hotspot work with your LG TV, this is the place for you. In the following sections, we will give you just that, as well as how to set up your mobile hotspot in the first place.
How Do I Setup a Mobile Hotspot?
A mobile hotspot can be set up in a matter of seconds. However, where it appears on your phone will vary based on it’s operating system.
Below we have outlined how to turn both an iPhone and an Android into a mobile hotspot, so you can have yours set up when you go to connect your TV.
How to Setup a Hotspot on iPhone
Setting up a hotspot on an iPhone is pretty straightforward. You really just need to know where to go in the settings.
You just need to follow the steps below to turn your iPhone into a hotspot:
- Go to settings.
- Look along the list of settings for “Personal Hotspot,” then tap on it.
- Hit “Wifi Password.” From here you can set the password other devices like your TV will need to connect to your mobile hotspot.
It’s as simple as that. Now when you have other devices searching for wifi, your hotspot should come up alongside the other networks near you.
How to Setup a Hotspot on Android
Setting up a mobile hotspot on an Android is very similar to setting one up on an iPhone. Like with an iPhone it shouldn’t take you longer than a minute to complete.
Below we have outlined each step to activate your android’s mobile hotspot:
- Go to settings.
- Tap on “Connections.”
- Find “Mobile Hotspot and Tethering,” and tap on it.
- Switch mobile hotspot to on.
- Go back to “Mobile Hotspot and Tethering” and look for “Password.” There you will just need to set the password that devices will need to connect to your hotspot.
It’s as simple as that. Like with the iphone hotspot, your android one will appear like normal wifi to other devices that connect to it.
How Do I Connect My LG TV to My Hotspot?
Connecting your LG TV to the mobile hotspot you just set up is also a pretty straightforward process. The following steps should have your LG TV hooked up to the internet via your mobile device’s service:
- First establish your mobile hotspot: The previous two sections walk you through the process of doing this with both an iPhone and an Android. Please make sure with both you look at the name of your mobile hotspot when you set up the password.
- Press the settings button on your TV remote: Just look for the button with a gear on it. That is the symbol for settings.
- Scroll down to “All Settings”: This is the last bubble at the bottom of the screen with three dots on it. This opens up “All Settings.”
- Go to network and click on “Wifi Connection”: When the menu that contains the rest of your TV settings pops up, you should look for the network button and then select “wifi connection.”
- Select your hotspot and enter your password: The name of your hotspot should appear like a regular wifi connection. Select it, put in your password and vola, you’re done.
If for some reason your hotspot didn’t come up, ensure that it is still toggled on, on your phone. If it is, try restarting your TV and seeing if it comes up now. If you just set up the hotspot, your TVs network may need time to refresh and pick it up.
So Really, Can an LG TV Use a Mobile Hotspot?
So, let’s do a quick recap to make sure you got all the information. You can, in fact, connect your LG TV to a mobile hotspot. You simply need to first set up the hotspot on your phone and then connect to it on your TV the same way you would with regular wifi.
Using a hotspot, or at least knowing you have it as an option, can be a lifesaver when your wifi goes down in the middle of your favorite Netflix show. Still, you want to make sure you’re comfortable with the amount of data it uses, and that you have good enough service at home to support your TV’s features.