You want to rest assured that your Blink Outdoor Camera will function rain or shine. One of the great things about these devices is that they have a weather rating of IP65, making them weatherproof, but does that mean they can still get wet?
Blink Outdoor Cameras are water-resistant, meaning they are treated with a protective coat that makes it difficult for water to get inside. However, they should not be placed in areas where they could get routinely rained on, sprayed, or otherwise wet. Prolonged water exposure can damage the device.
Continue reading to learn more about the Blink Outdoor Camera’s water resistance. We will also provide information about what you should do if your camera does happen to get wet and if there should be cause for concern.
Can the Blink Outdoor Camera Get Wet?
There are three classifications when it comes to devices that can get wet. The following categories range from least resistant to most resistant:
- Water-resistant. These devices can withstand some water, but ideally, they should be kept away from any liquids.
- Water-repellant. These devices have hydrophobic coatings that prevent water from interfering with its internal components. This is considered mid-tier protection.
- Waterproof. The devices can be submerged in water with no issues.
The Blink Outdoor Camera is water-resistant. But what does this mean for your device and how well it can function when exposed to water?
Well, earlier, we mentioned that Blink Outdoor Cameras have a weather rating of IP65. According to the International Electrotechnical Commission, this means three things:
- The “IP” stands for “ingress protection.”
- The first numeral (in this case, six) indicates that a device is “dust tight.”
- The second numeral (in this case, 5) means that a device is “protected against water jets. Water projected in powerful jets shall have no harmful effects.”
A weather resistance rating of IP65 is actually pretty good, despite Blink’s “water-resistant” designation. With this information in mind, know that your Blink Outdoor Cameras are safe from normal rain, the occasional sprinkler, and splashes from the garden hose.
What Happens if Blink Outdoor Cameras Get Wet?
If your camera gets wet, it’ll probably be fine. Best-case, you may end up with water droplets on the camera’s lens, resulting in a distorted or burry picture until the droplets are wiped away.
However, if the device gets submerged in or is exposed to large amounts of water, then you might have a problem. Remember: waterproof and water-resistant do not mean the same thing.
If your device gets wet, one of the following measures could help you:
- Assess the damage. Before assuming that your camera is broken, give it a test run. If you’re confident that the contact with water was minimal, then you should be fine.
- Check its batteries. Make sure that water didn’t come into contact with the device’s batteries. Water probably won’t get inside the batteries and damage them; however, if moisture and water collect around the area, it could cause the connectors to corrode, creating serious issues down the road.
- Put it in rice. If your device suffers water damage and stops working, put it in a bag of rice. The rice will absorb the moisture in the area, possibly allowing your device to capture data again.
- Allow it to air-dry. Take your device inside and allow it to dry naturally.
Most warranties don’t cover damage caused by the customer. However, if poor or faulty design allowed water to penetrate your device, you could also file a warranty claim. According to Blink, you generally have one year from the date of purchase to request repairs or a replacement.
How to Protect Blink Outdoor Camera from Moisture
If you want to take extra measures to keep your Blink Outdoor Camera safe, you have options, such as buying a case. Offered in a variety of models, these “houses” surround your camera on all sides and even offer a little “roof” to cut down on the sun’s glare.
Be sure to check what kind of camera you have before making a purchase. For instance, the case you would use for a standard Blink Outdoor Camera may be different than the one you would get for the former Blink XT outdoor camera model.
Alternatively, you can choose a different spot to mount your device, ideally away from areas that receive the most exposure to rain or moisture.
Technically, your Blink Outdoor Camera can get wet, although it’s not necessarily waterproof. In fact, if it does get wet, you shouldn’t have any problems. However, to ensure optimal performance, you should place it away from your sprinklers and out of areas that regularly receive heavy rainfall.