Settling in for the evening with your remote in hand has expectations of the television turning on when you press the power button. So, when nothing happens, and you are staring at a blank screen, you want to know what is causing the issue and how to troubleshoot the problem quickly. Finding out why your LG TV will not turn on will get the issue fixed so you can enjoy the show.
Checking power cord connections, ensuring outlets are functioning, and the status of your remote control are a few ways to troubleshoot an LG TV that will not turn on. Additionally, resetting the TV to its original factory settings and power cycling can also solve this issue.
While it can be frustrating finding out that your LG TV will not turn on, sometimes it takes just a few steps to get the problem solved, and the entertainment starts. Before attempting to obtain service for your TV, or even worse, returning it, there are troubleshooting tips that often resolve the issue quickly. Keep reading to find out the steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue and return to the program.
Troubleshooting an LG TV that Won’t Turn On
Relying on the electronics that we own to perform when we need them is something we count on. So, when you press the remote and nothing happens, it can be frustrating.
There are a few possible reasons why your TV will not turn on, so finding out which one applies to your situation will help remedy the issue quickly:
- Method 1: Complete a power reset for the TV by unplugging it and waiting a full 60 seconds, then plug it back in. This procedure will often fix the issue.
- Method 2: If the power reset does not work, unplug the TV again, and then hold the power button on the TV for a full 15 seconds. This action drains all the remaining power from the TV. Then, wait another 10 seconds and plug the TV back in. Attempt to turn the TV on by using the switch on the TV and not the remote.
- Method 3: Moving the TV plug to another outlet is another fix that you can try. If there are any issues with the outlet you have been using, this could solve the problem.
Now, let’s take a look at how to fix the black screen on your LG TV.
How to Fix LG TV Black Screen
Sometimes when there is adequate power to the TV, it will turn on, but you see a black screen instead of your menu.
While a black screen on your LG TV can be frustrating, there are reasons this can happen, along with the following helpful ideas to alleviate this issue:
- Method 1: Checking external sources that provide content to your TV, such as a cable box or cords plugged in incorrectly, can cause a black screen when turning on your TV.
- Method 2: Using the remote, choose options such as the menu or the volume buttons. If you see any display, then the problem is related to a connected device.
- Method 3: Performing checks such as ensuring cables are fully connected and in the right place can often resolve issues. Check with any service providers to see if there are updates to your firmware or look for instructions on how to power cycle those devices, as this can often solve the problem.
- Method 4: Check the settings on external devices, including the resolution settings, to make sure they match. This also applies to time and location. For example, if your TV settings are somehow set to another region, a conflict will prevent content from showing.
- Method 5: While an LG TV can accept many different input devices, such as DVI, HDMI for PC or laptop, cable, and other components, ensuring that the cables are connected properly is essential for proper operation. Refer to the owner’s manual or support websites to get information on troubleshooting these connections.
If you need help troubleshooting your issue, take a look at the next section.
Troubleshooting Assistance for your LG TV
After trying troubleshooting steps for your LG TV and you are still experiencing the TV not turning on or a black screen, visiting the LG website for personalized support and service is a way to get one-on-one help for these concerns. Visit the main LG website here, and then scroll down for convenient support options. You can receive help through several formats, including chatbot, email, phone, and more.
Also, at the main support website, enter the LG TV model you own, search for and download user manuals, get support for specific issues with the TV not turning on, and find solutions. Access extensive help libraries and access the LG Community.
To learn more about a black screen on your LG TV, take a look at our article, “How to Reset an LG TV When the Screen Is Black”
Discovering that your LG TV will not turn on does not have to result in purchasing a new TV. Following the helpful suggestions in this article will often fix the issue and get your TV up and running. Resetting your TV, checking connected devices, or updating to the latest firmware will get you back to relaxing and enjoying your favorite programs in no time.