The Echo Dot is perfect for playing music or listening to other types of audio. It can be used as a Bluetooth speaker or connected to a larger speaker via an aux cord to play songs with better sound quality. With that said, you may be wondering whether you can use the Echo Dot as a computer speaker, and if so how.
Below, we’ll cover all the steps to connecting your Echo Dot to your computer so you can start listening to audio from videos, games, and more through your device.
How Do I Use Echo Dot as a Computer Speaker?
Depending on the computer you own, connecting the Echo Dot as a speaker may have slightly different steps.
To connect the Echo Dot as a speaker to a Windows computer or laptop, follow these steps:
- Go to the Amazon Alexa page on your PC’s web browser.
- Log in to your account using your Amazon account details.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Choose Pair a New Device.
- It will begin looking for devices it can pair with.
- Open the Windows Bluetooth and Other Device Settings page.
- Click Add Bluetooth or Other Device.
- Click Bluetooth when it takes you to the new page.
The two devices should find each other and sync. Whenever the two devices are in range, they should be able to automatically find each other and connect. If not, you might need to give Alexa a voice command so it will connect to the computer. (Make sure to call your device whatever you have it named in your settings.)
- “Alexa, connect to the desktop.”
- “Alexa, connect to the laptop.”
- “Alexa, connect to Ryan’s laptop.”
If you have a Mac computer or laptop, the steps for connecting your Echo Dot to your device will be slightly different:
- Open the Alexa settings page in the computer’s web browser.
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Click on the Bluetooth symbol on the top of the right-hand side of your Mac. It should be to the left of the Wi-Fi symbol.
- Choose Connect.
- If the Bluetooth symbol doesn’t show, go to the Apple menu. Then choose System Preferences, then click on Bluetooth.
- Select Show Bluetooth in the Menu Bar.
- Click the Bluetooth symbol.
- Choose your device from the drop-down menu.
- Select Connect.
Your Mac should take just a few moments to connect to the Echo Dot. An instruction page might pop up and prompt you to answer a few questions. Your devices will automatically connect once you’ve finished navigating the instruction pages.
Can I Connect My Echo Dot to My Computer with Aux?
Your Echo Dot can be used as a speaker with several devices, including computers, as long as they are connected with Bluetooth. In other words, the device you want to connect to using the Echo Dot has to be Bluetooth-compatible for it to work.
Keep in mind that the Echo Dot cannot be used as a speaker with an aux cord because it does not have an aux output feature. Therefore, when it comes to getting connected with your computer, you can only connect via Bluetooth.
Why Isn’t My Echo Dot Connecting to My Computer?
There are a few reasons why your Echo Dot might not be able to connect to your computer or establish a firm Bluetooth connection. If you’re Echo Dot cannot be found by the computer, follow these steps:
- Press the button on your Echo Dot until you see the orange light.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on your computer to set up the Echo Dot.
- Click Continue on the next page.
- Click on the Wi-Fi network button on your computer and select the network that says “Amazon-XXX.” The three X’s will be different letters and numbers for everyone.
- Wait for Alexa to come online. The computer should display a screen saying that your Amazon device is being prepared.
- Once done, the setup page should say “This device is ready.”
If you’re experiencing other connection problems, follow these tips:
- Turn your computer’s Bluetooth off and back on.
- Turn the computer off and back on.
- Turn the Echo Dot’s Bluetooth off and back on.
- Make sure the Echo Dot and the computer are in the same room or area.
- Try moving the devices closer together.
Your Echo Dot can be used as a computer speaker by connecting the two devices with Bluetooth. Go to your computer’s Settings page, select Bluetooth, then find your device and select Connect. Follow the on-screen instructions, and you’re all set!
Of course, if you experience any issues getting connected, try out the troubleshooting tips mentioned above.