Over the past few years, Amazon has delivered some of the first and favorite Smart Home devices. Alexa is now a household name when it comes to voice assistants, and many people around the world want to get their hands on their devices. They’re great tools to help manage your home and interact with your appliances—and other household members.
When it comes to managing these devices, it’s important to know how to manage the users who can access them. How do you change the owner of your Alexa devices? In order to change the owner of Alexa devices, you first have to deregister the device from the original Owner’s Amazon account.
Read on to learn more about some of the most popular Amazon Alexa devices and how you can manage the Owner account and other users in your Amazon Household.
Changing the Owner of Alexa Devices
If you decide to return, sell, or give away your device, you’ll need to remove your Amazon account to prepare for a new owner. This will remove your current data and settings, so the new owner can start over to manage their own settings. To allow a new Owner to take over the device, you must first deregister the device from your account.
To deregister a device from your Amazon account, follow these steps in the Alexa app:
- Tap Settings on the left-hand side.
- Click on the name of the device you wish to deregister.
- Tap Deregister and Confirm.
Some Alexa devices do not have the option to deregister in the Alexa app. In these cases, you’ll have to visit the Amazon website on your web browser to make the changes.
- Under the Accounts & Lists menu, select Manage Your Content & Devices.
- Select Your Devices.
- To the left of each device, you should see an ellipses (…).
- Find the device you wish to deregister and Tap on the three dots.
- Click Deregister, then select again to confirm.
Interested in how to add Alexa to your car? Check out our post here to find out more.
Creating Your Amazon Household
If you have a family where multiple people will be accessing and using your Alexa devices, you may want to set up an Amazon Household. This allows you to act as Owner and choose Household members who can also browse and utilize your devices.
When you create your Amazon Household and invite other users, you can share content, manage certain account features, and access customized information on compatible Alexa devices. You can create a Household in the Alexa app or on your computer by selecting Manage Your Household in your Settings.
To add a person to your Amazon Household, he or she must be present with you. Then, follow these steps in the Alexa app:
- Select Settings on the menu.
- Tap Alexa Account and then select Amazon Household.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add a new member.
It’s important to remember that when you add an adult to your Amazon Household, you authorize that he or she can use the payment method associated with your account. For added security, you can choose to require a confirmation code for voice purchases in the Alexa app.
Also, on Echo devices with a screen, you authorize other adult users in your Household to access and view your Prime Photos. On the Echo Look (Note: discontinuing as of July 2020), only you can see and delete the photos in your account. Alexa will identify which account is active when you ask her to take a picture.
How do you change Alexa’s name, voice, or accent? Jump over to our post here to learn more.
If another adult is added to your Amazon Household, he or she can link their calendar to Alexa. You will be able to hear events from all linked calendars when you ask Alexa about your upcoming events.
Switching to Another Profile
Once you finish setting up your Amazon Household, you can switch between adult users on compatible Alexa devices. To do so, all you have to do is tell Alexa to “Switch accounts.” If you ever need to check which account you’re currently using, you can ask Alexa, “Which account is this?” and she will let you know who is currently logged on and active.
When you’re browsing in a content library in the Alexa app, use the drop-down menu to navigate between user libraries.
Removing an Adult from Your Amazon Household
When people move out of your home, or if you no longer wish them to have access to your devices, you can remove a user from your Household.
If you want to remove a member from your Amazon Household, the process is also pretty simple. Follow these steps in the Alexa app:
- Start by visiting your Household settings.
- Select Remove next to the user you’d like to remove.
- If you are removing your own account, Select Leave.
Be careful when removing users from your Amazon Household. It’s important to note that once you remove an adult from your Household, you cannot add either user account to another Household for 180 days. If you remove an account by accident, it’s recommended that you contact Amazon Customer Service to add the user account back to your Household.
Exploring Some of Our Favorite Alexa Devices
Alexa is Amazon’s voice assistant that you can access through Alexa smart speakers and displays. You can wake the device by simply saying, “Alexa.” Then, you can tell her to perform various tasks like setting an alarm, performing an online search, checking the weather, and more. Recently, one of the most common commands is having Alexa control your other Smart Home devices like a video doorbell or smart lock.
Over the past few years, Amazon has released many popular Smart Home devices that are all compatible with Alexa. Here are some of our favorites:
- The Amazon Echo Dot is an Alexa speaker that’s currently in its third generation. The improved design includes better sound than previous models at a pretty affordable price.
- The Amazon Echo Show is a smart display with a built-in Alexa speaker. It’s compatible with Alexa-enabled security cameras like your Smart doorbell.
- The Ring Peephole Camera is a smart doorbell that attaches to your front door’s traditional peephole.
- The August Smart Lock allows you to remotely lock and unlock your door. It also gives you status updates for when your door is opened and closed.
- The Amazon Fire TV Stick allows you to scroll through television programs and select things to watch with your voice.
- Simpli Safe is a do-it-yourself home security system. It works with Alexa, so you can arm and manage the system with voice commands.
Get Smart with Other Amazon Alexa-compatible Devices
Amazon is pretty much everyone’s favorite online shopping platform. And they’re arguably one of the best manufacturers of Smart Home products. They allow you to manage many different aspects of your home and stay connected to your house while you’re away.
When you’re entering into the world of Smart Home technology, the Amazon Alexa devices are a great place to start. That way, you can simply continue your journey by adding devices that are compatible with Alexa to fully integrate your appliances and devices.