When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smart technology is taking over many homes around the nation. These tools and devices help individuals and families stay connected and protect the people and things they find most dear. The Nest Camera is a smart security camera that helps you see who’s in your home and what’s going on—24/7! How do you change the owner of a Nest Camera?
- Login to the Nest app. If you manage more than one household, select the home that has the product you’d like to remove.
- Tap the device you want to remove.
- Select “Settings” in the top right corner, then scroll down to select Remove Nest Camera.
- Confirm your choice.
This article will give you more information on the Nest smart security camera and how you can manage users on your device. There are several important things to take into account before removing yourself as the owner and giving your Nest cam a new owner.
How to Change a Nest Cam Owner
Now that you know the basics of how to change a Nest cam owner, there are some more details to it than just removing the Nest cam to your account.
Important: Do not unplug your Nest Cam until the light ring is pulsing blue. This light will start pulsing only after the removal is complete. If you unplug the camera too early, you will have to reset it to get it working again.
If you do not plan on using the Nest Camera again, such as you’re selling it or giving it away, it’s recommended that you perform afactory reset on the device. This will clear your settings and data so the product is fresh and ready for the new owner. This is especially important because Nest cams were able to be hacked.
More Important Things to Know Before Removing Your Nest Cam
Before you remove your Nest Cam from your account, however, it’s important to keep a few things in mind.
- When you remove a camera from your account in the Nest app, it will permanently delete all of the camera’s recorded history. Make sure to have a backup. However, if you have at least one active Nest Hello or Nest Cam device, your saved videos will be available online at home.nest.com.
- If you were invited to share the control of a Nest Home, you can remove cameras from the home, but only the owner can cancel a Nest Aware subscription.
- To cancel a Nest Aware subscription, navigate through the Nest app. You can cancel the subscription even if you already removed the device from your account.
User Accounts for Google Nest Devices
When deciding to change the owner of your Nest Cam, it’s important to note that with a recent Google update, regular users have many of the same permissions as the owner of the device.
Users with full access to the device can:
- Add or remove devices
- Use and change device settings
- Link other services
- Add or remove other members
Only owners, however, can update billing information and delete and edit Homes in the app.
Google Recommends Users Have a Google Account
Google encourages Nest product owners to have a Google account. If you already have a Google account, you can use that to log in to the Nest app and manage your devices. If you do not already have a Google account, you’re recommended to create one.
If you are migrating your account to a Google account, all household members will have similar access and control as you, the owner. So, it’s important to consider the people you are giving access to your Nest products. When adding new members to your household, make sure they are users you know and trust.
How to Add New Members to Your Nest Camera
After you change the Owner of your Nest Cam, you may want to add other users in your household to manage the device. Just make sure they have a Google account first. You can do this by visiting the Settings in your Nest app.
Follow these steps:
- Select Family & Guests. Then, tap Add a Person.
- Type in the person’s name and tap Continue.
- Add the email address of the person you’d like to invite. You also can add this person from your Contacts.
- Tap Send.
They will receive an invitation to download the Nest app. Then, they can follow the setup instructions to add the device to their account.
New Smart Home technology gives homeowners and their families new ways to protect and interact with their homes. Devices like the Nest Camera, Nest Thermostat, and other Google Home products make it more fun and easy to manage your home.
Visit the Google Store to learn more about these products and discover your opportunities to grow your Smart Home experience.