Can You Connect Nest Audio to an LG TV?
Several devices in the Google lineup allow you to take advantage of Nest, with the latest being the Google Nest Audio. It’s an improvement in almost every way to Google’s line of Nest virtual assistant speaker devices and will connect with many LG smart TVs for an improved experience.
You can connect a Nest Audio device to your LG Smart TV, provided that it’s the right TV and running the right webOS. LG’s ThinQ technology is where this is all supposed to work and so far, it’s been a mixed bag for some because not all LGs are wholly compatible.
So, before you do anything else, you will have to be sure that you have the right LG TV for the job. That’s a lot of TVs since the ThinQ technology has been a part of the LG Smart TV lineup since 2018.
This is one that you’ll want to check before you grab a Nest Audio and, if you already have one and your TV is not on the below list, it’s still worth a shot to try and sync the two. However, the features may not be the same and it may not work as well if you’re successful.
The Following LG smart TVs are known to work with Nest Audio:
In addition, all Super UHD LCD TVs and up and LG TVs running WebOS 4.0 are compatible with Nest Audio.
That may not seem like a lot but you’d be surprised at how many TVs that cover. Also, as we mentioned above, there’s a possibility that an LG TV outside of this list will still sync up with the Nest Audio, but it may lack some features or it won’t work well enough to bother.
To check whether or not your LG TV is on WebOS 4.0, you’ll have to get into the About This TV Settings. Since not all LG TVs are the same, it will go something like this:
- Long press the Home Button on the LG Remote
- Go to Settings > Advanced Settings
- General > About This TV.
That should put you in the neighborhood of checking whether or not your LG TV is running WebOS 4.0.
Next, set up your LG Account, if you haven’t already, as it’s a process that you should go through when you unbox your LG TV for the first time. If you haven’t, you won’t have to go too far out of the way.
- On the Main Menu, select Account Management.
- Go through the Registration process.
- Completing the registration process will add the Google Home menu to your LG.
From there, you have one of two options for connecting your devices:
- Press the Home button on your remote or navigate to Home on the TV screen.
- Set Up TV for Google Assistant should be an option on the Home screen.
- Select Facebook or Google account to set up.
- Select Google, especially if you just set up your Google Nest Audio.
- Select Menu.
- Select Home Control and the system will connect you to Google Home.
- Add or pair your Nest Audio by selecting the + to Add a Device.
- Plugin your Google Chromecast and make sure the TV and Chromecast are on the same WiFi.
- Open the Google Chromecast Screen.
- Open the Google Home App on your smartphone.
- Select Devices.
- Select Add New Device.
- Go through the instructions with the guide that follows.
- Go back to your Google App and select Continue.
- Match the code on your TV with the one presented on your smartphone.
- Now, go to More Settings on the smartphone app.
- On TV and Speakers select the + symbol.
- Select your Nest Audio.
- Select Done.
Using the Google Chromecast method may seem like the most convoluted, however, if you already own a Google Chromecast and have used it in the past on your LG TV, it will be easier because everything but the Nest Audio is already set up and all you have to do is add it.
If your LG smart TV doesn’t match one of the known, compatible TVs, the instructions will probably be a little different, but it’s still worth giving it a try. The worst that can happen is that it won’t work and the best-case scenario will include some level of functionality.
Either method you use should get you set up in no time and, so long as you have the right LG smart TV, you will have voice control over your TV for the first time, along with several other capabilities, such as voice control on your apps and what is and isn’t playing.
All in all, it’s a good partnership between the two.