By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can pair your Govee LED light strips to other devices via Bluetooth. But before you can do that, you need to get them ready to pair.
How to Put Govee LED Light Strips in Pairing Mode
There is no dedicated pairing mode for Govee LED light strips, but setting them up is simple.
- Plug your light strips in.
- Turn your phone’s Bluetooth on and open the Govee Home app.
- Press the + icon in the top-right corner.
- Find and select your lights’ model number.
- Wait for the lights to connect, then name your lights and connect to your Wi-Fi network.
Once this is complete, you can control your LED light strips and connect them to compatible smart devices using the app.
How Can I Control My Govee LED Light Strips?
There are three ways to control your Govee LED light strips:
- Govee control unit
- Remote control
Control Your Light Strips with the Govee Control Unit
Attached to your Govee LED light strip is a small control box with three buttons. These buttons allow you to change your lights’ settings and power them on or off.
- The top button turns the lights on or off.
- The toggle switch changes the lights’ color.
- The bottom button connects the lights to music and controls the brightness.
All you need is a power outlet, and you’re ready to go! The control box can stick to practically anything.
Control Your Light Strips with the Govee Home App
A more convenient way to control your lights is through the Govee Home app. This app allows you to adjust your lights remotely and connect them to other devices.
You can use the app to:
- Change the lights’ color
- Turn music mode on or off
- Adjust the brightness
- Turn the lights on or off
- Schedule light timers or routines
You can control each strip individually, or create groups and control all your lights simultaneously.
Control Your Govee Light Strips with the Remote Control
Some Govee light strips come with a remote. These remotes allow you to:
- Turn your lights on and off
- Adjust brightness
- Adjust the color
The remote works within approximately 32 feet of the light strip.
What Devices Can Govee LED Light Strips Connect to?
Govee lights can be connected to a variety of devices, including:
- Smartphones and tablets
- Smart TVs
- Voice assistants
- Other Govee lights
We’ve discussed how to connect Govee light strips to your smartphone or tablet. Now, let’s talk about connecting them to other devices.
You can pair your Govee strip lights to a smart TV using Bluetooth and the Govee App. The lights sync with the sound from the TV, giving you an immersive movie night or gaming session.
Not all Govee lights are compatible with smart TVs. However, the following are great options:
If you have a compatible light strip, follow these steps to sync them to your smart TV:
- Install your Govee lights and set them up in the Govee Home app.
- Select “Video” from the Govee settings menu.
- Find the TV you want to sync your lights to.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Want to control your Govee LED lights with voice commands? You’re in luck — Govee light strips are compatible with many smart assistants, including:
They aren’t directly compatible with Samsung SmartThings, but there are workarounds that can give you some compatibility.
With your Govee light strips connected to a voice assistant, you can turn them on or off, change their color, and more without even opening the Govee Home app.
Other Govee Lights
You can sync multiple Govee lights together by creating a group in the Govee Home app. Here’s how you can create a group and control all the lights in a room at once:
- Open the Govee Home app.
- If you haven’t yet, set up the lights you want to sync. If your lights are already set up, move on to the next step.
- Open “My Devices.”
- Select “Smarts,” then tap the “+” icon.
- Select a category and name your group.
- Add your lights to the group.
- Save your changes.
Do Govee Light Strips Need Wi-Fi to Work?
Govee light strips require a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth to work.
Most routers are set up for both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz networks. If your Wi-Fi only has a 5 GHz connection available, you will need to change the frequency to 2.4 GHz.
Troubleshooting: Pairing Govee LED Light Strips
Govee Won’t Connect to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
If your Govee lights will not connect to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, try turning Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off. Let it rest for a few seconds, then turn it back on.
This usually solves the problem. If the issue persists:
- Make sure you’re using 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
- Reboot your router
- Unplug your strip lights, then plug them back in
- Reboot your phone
- Disconnect and reconnect the lights from the Govee Home app
- Reinstall the Govee Home app
Note: Your router should be placed in a central location in your home. If there are too many obstacles for the Wi-Fi signal to penetrate, it may affect device performance. Adding a Wi-Fi extender may eliminate dead zones.
Govee Light Strip Won’t Turn On
Some Govee strip lights connect to a power source through a USB cord. For this reason, some people connect them to a TV or computer. But, your Govee light strips should always connect directly to a power outlet.
If that doesn’t work, try switching the outlet you’re using. Still won’t turn on? Check for damaged wires, especially where you made right angles while installing the lights.
If you don’t see any signs of damage, your light strips might be defective. In that case, replacing them is your best bet.
Can I Make My Govee Light Strips Last Longer?
Govee light strips have an impressive lifespan of approximately five years. To ensure your light strips last as long as possible, you should:
- Turn the lights off when you’re not using them.
- Avoid installing your lights near vents, fireplaces, and ovens.
- Install an LED light cover to protect the lights from dirt and grime.
Avoid placing the lights near water sources, like showers and sinks.