By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Govee is a brand of smart LED lights capable of RGB colors that can be programmed and used with your digital personal assistant.
- Enable and Name your Govee Light in the Govee Home App
- Enable the Govee Light skill in the Amazon Alexa App
- Connect your Govee account to your Amazon Alexa App
- Add the Govee light to your Amazon Alexa App
Setting up your lights for some people can seem daunting, but the process is quite simple once you get started. The apps and this guide will help you along.
Connect Govee Lights to Alexa in 4 Simple Steps
Setting up your Govee lights to work with Alexa is simple and easy. You need to connect your lights to your Govee Home App and connect that app to Alexa.
Once you have your Govee Lights on your Govee Home App, you need to connect your account to the Alexa App. Then you will be able to issue voice commands to your lights.
The Govee Home App and the Amazon Alexa App have on-screen instructions that make setting up a new device a breeze.
Connecting your Govee Lights to Alexa
The first thing you want to do is connect your Govee Lights to your home’s WiFi network. It is important to know that Govee Lights only work with a 2.4 GHz WiFi network.
If you have a dual-band router capable of a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz network, you will need to Google instructions on how to enable the 2.4 GHz network on your specific model router.
Connect your Govee Lights to your WiFi with the Govee Home App
The Govee Lights will connect to your mobile device using Bluetooth initially then they will be able to connect to your WiFi through the Govee Home App.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your mobile device
- Download the Govee Home App from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
- Open the Govee Home App
- Tap the “+” icon in the upper right-hand corner of the main screen
- Choose your type of device from the menu on the upper left part of the screen
- Choose the model number of your lights from those listed
- Select your device from the Bluetooth Devices Nearby screen\
- Name the Govee Lights something easy to remember (this is what you will be calling the Govee Lights when using your Alexa voice commands)
- Enter your WiFi settings (make sure you have enabled a 2.4 GHz WiFi network)
Your Govee Lights should now be connected to your home’s WiFi network and controllable within the Govee Home App.
Enable the Govee Light skill in the Amazon Alexa App
For the Amazon Alexa App to speak to the Govee lights, you must download the Alexa skill for Govee Lights.
- Download and Open the Amazon Alexa App
- Tap the 3-lined Menu button in the upper-left corner of screen
- Select Skill & Games
- Tap the Search Icon (a magnifying glass) in the upper-right corner of the screen
- Search for the “Govee” skill
- Select “Enable to Use” on the Govee skill section
- You will then need to log in to your Govee Home App account on the Amazon Alexa App
Once you have the skill installed and your Amazon Alexa account connected to your Govee account, you can set up the lights within the Amazon Alexa App.
Add the Govee light to your Amazon Alexa App
You can now connect your Govee Lights to the Amazon Alexa App, and you will be able to issue voice commands to your Govee Lights.
- Open the Amazon Alexa App
- Select the Devices tab from the bottom of the app’s home screen
- Tap the “+” icon in the upper-right side of the Devices screen
- Select Add Device
- Select Discover Devices
- Select your Govee Device from the devices listed
You should now be able to issue voice commands to your Govee Lights via the Alexa digital personal assistant.
Alexa Commands for Govee Lights
There are several different commands that can be used to control your Govee LED RGB smart lights in numerous ways.
Alexa Commands for Govee Lights
You can use these commands with any Amazon Echo device:
- “Alexa, turn [Govee Light name] on / off.”
- “Alexa, dim [Govee Light name].”
- “Alexa, brighten [Govee Light name].”
- “Alexa, set [Govee Light name] to [any color].”
- “Alexa, change the [Govee Light name] to [any color].”
- “Alexa, set the [Govee Light name] to [percentage between 0% and 100%]
- “Alexa, increase [Govee Light name].”
- “Alexa, decrease [Govee Light name].”
There may be other commands available, but those are currently supported Govee commands in the Amazon Alexa App.
What’s even better is that you can also control smart lighting with the Fire TV Cube.
There is also a mode where the lights can pulse and blink in time with Bluetooth music, but this function is not currently supported in the Amazon Alexa App.
Govee Lights are LED lights capable of RGB colors that can be controlled through the Govee Home App or the Amazon Alexa App.
You can control the colors, intensity, and brightness from the app or use voice commands via the Alexa digital personal assistant.