Does Ring Stick Up Cam Need a Base Station or Hub?
With Ring cameras, you can be sure you are getting maximum security for your home and property. The Ring Stick Up Cam is easy to use and easy to install. You can simply stick it onto any surface to start supervising your home remotely. When buying ring cameras, you might have heard of base stations and hubs. When determining whether you want to buy the Stick-Up Cam or not, you probably want to know if it needs a hub before making the big purchase.
Unlike other Ring Cams and products, the Ring Stick Up Cam does not need a base station or a hub. A base station can still be used though if you want to connect the Ring Stick Up Cam to other Ring devices in your home.
Since the Ring Stick Up Cam works as is without needing a base station, you might be wondering if you should still get a base station to connect to other devices. We will go over all the pros and cons in this article.
Should I Buy a Base Station with my Ring Stick Up Cam?
This all depends on your personal preferences and if you have other Ring devices you want to use with the camera. Your Ring Stick Up Cam can be used without a base station, so the purchase is not necessary if you don’t want to spend the extra money if you don’t think you will use it.
Keep in mind that though there are many reasons you might want to consider buying the base station to use with your new camera:
- Makes it much easier to control other Ring devices such as the alarm and lighting
- Some Ring devices, such as the Ring Alarm require the base station, so you might already have one in your home
- Can connect up to 50 different devices
- The retail value is pretty low at only $50
- Useful and convenient
If you would like to learn more about Ring, check out this article.
Why You May Not Need a Base Station with Your Ring Stick Up Cam
There are also some reasons you might not need the base station:
- The hub might not fit into your current budget
- It’s not needed for the Stick-Up Cam so it can be seen as an unnecessary purchase
- Does not offer signal boosts like some other hubs and base stations
- You can also use an Amazon Echo or similar device to link your Ring devices and control them together
- Only one hub can be used per household as the signals will interfere
Keep in mind that even without the Ring base station, you have to use the Ring App for the Ring Stick Up Cam. Without the app, you won’t be able to use the camera or be able to change the settings.
Will Using a Base Station Improve My Ring Stick Up Cam’s Performance?
It might not improve the performance and the signal of the camera, but it can add many different features to the camera that will make your home and your Ring devices much more productive.
One of the best features you can get with the base station is linked recording. This means your camera will automatically start recording if you have other Ring devices such as a Ring Alarm or Ring Smart Lighting.
If your alarm is tipped off, your camera will start recording to see the event that made the alarm go off. This can be a very useful feature to make your home more secure and safe as it will allow you to better be aware of the events going around your property.
It can also improve your camera in many other ways:
- Subscription plan comes with local storage so you can easily save your videos for later
- Amazon Echo can be added to the base station to make voice commands easier
- Works with all Ring devices to make sure your home is fully automated
Make sure you have everything you need to use the base station before starting the setup process.
What Do I Need to Use the Ring Stick Up Cam?
The only thing you need to use for the Ring Stick Up Cam is the Ring App and a good WIFI connection. A stronger WIFI connection might be needed for the base station as well. Keep in mind that you can always add in the base station after purchasing the camera, you don’t need to buy them and set them up right away.
You also need a good place to stick the camera for the best views. Use these tips:
- Make sure the camera is nine feet off the ground when outside
- It should be seven feet off the ground when inside
- Make sure there are obstructions or shadows
Now you know everything about the base station or hubs used with Ring Stick Up Cams.
A base station is not needed for the Ring Stick Up Cam, but it can add many benefits to make the camera easier to use. It can also help to interconnect the Ring devices you have.