When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Launched in 2020, the Amazon Luna game streaming service is popular among gamers with its great cloud-based features. The Amazon Luna Controllers offer multiple connectivity options, including Wi-Fi Direct for lower latency.
While Luna Controller is specially designed to support Amazon’s cloud gaming service, it also works with other gaming platforms. Through the Amazon Luna Controller app, Luna Controller can pair directly with multiple devices.
Can You Use Luna Controller on Steam?
Luna Controller is compatible with the Steam Client installed on:
- Mac (Version 10.11 El Capitan or later)
- Windows PC (Windows 7 and above)
- iOS devices
- Certain Android smartphones
- Hardware running Linux Ubuntu (Version 12.04 or later) and SteamOS
Luna Controller can connect to Steam via Bluetooth, cloud direct, USB-C, and the Touch controller.
The Touch controller is only available on supported Fire Tablets and mobile devices.
Setting Up Your Luna Controller
Setting up the Luna controller is not a complex process.
- Download the Luna Controller app onto your Mac, PC, or other compatible device from the Amazon Luna Controller support site.
- Insert two AA batteries into your controller.
- Press and hold the Home button until an orange light circles around the button.
- Log into your Luna Controller app and follow the instructions on the app to pair your controller.
On a Windows PC, it is advisable to download the Bluetooth driver from the Amazon Luna Controller support site. Otherwise, you may experience button mapping problems.
How to Use the Luna Controller with Steam via Bluetooth
The Luna Controller features Bluetooth technology, making it possible to connect to your Steam account and enjoy different games.
Amazon recommends using Wi-Fi to utilize its Cloud Direct technology during gameplay. In addition, your device needs to support Bluetooth 5.0.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Power on your Luna Controller by pressing the Luna button in the center of the gamepad.
- Press the Action and B buttons simultaneously on your Luna Controller to put the controller in Bluetooth pairing mode. A blinking white light indicates that your Luna Controller is in Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Then go to the Bluetooth icon on your device and select “Bluetooth devices” > “add a Bluetooth device.”
- Look for the Luna gamepad in your list of available devices and select to start pairing.
- Wait a few seconds for it to finish pairing, and you are good to go.
Repeat these steps to pair multiple Luna game controllers.
The Luna Controller works just as well as a generic third-party controller with Steam. You just have to go into Steam’s game settings and enable Luna as a generic controller.
How to Connect Your Amazon Luna Controller via USB-C
The Luna Controller can also be used with Steam via a wired connection thanks to the built-in USB-C port. This option is ideal when Bluetooth is not available.
Connecting via USB-C also eliminates the need for using batteries.
A USB-C cable is not included in the Luna Controller box. You will need to buy a USB-C cable to connect your Luna Controller to the gaming device.
Once you connect your controller to your PC you are ready to start playing on Steam.
Connecting the Luna Controller via Cloud Direct
Another option for your Luna controller connecting to Steam is through Cloud Direct. This method uses Amazon’s Luna game servers, which helps reduce latency and button mapping issues.
Of all the connectivity options, this may be the simplest way to use your Luna Controller on Steam. Here’s how it works:
- Press and hold the Home button on the controller for 3 seconds.
- Download and install the Luna Controller App on your device if you have not already done so.
- Open the app and tap the Add Luna Controller button.
- Follow the prompts that appear on your screen.
- Once you complete these steps, Cloud Direct will be automatically enabled on your Luna Controller. You are now ready to play.
You can connect your Luna Controller directly to Macs, PCs, Fire TVs, Fire Tablets, iPhones, and iPads.
However, it is important to note that if you want to use Cloud Direct with Steam, you have to download the Amazon Luna controller app.
Compatible Devices and Platforms
Using a Luna Controller on Steam is a potent combination for gamers of all levels. With so many compatible devices and platforms, there is a myriad of playing options.
Here are some notable devices that can support Steam gameplay using the Amazon Luna Controller:
- Mac, PC, and Linux-based computing platforms
- iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- Android phone, tablet, and TV
- Raspberry Pi 3, 3+, and 4
- Fire Tablet and Fire TV
Troubleshooting Luna Controller Issues on Steam
Reset Your Luna Controller
Difficulty connecting a Luna Controller with Steam is not an uncommon problem. One thing you can try is resetting your Luna Controller by following these simple steps:
- Press and hold the Home and Menu buttons at the same time.
- After six seconds or so, the Home button will light up orange.
- Restart your device and try pairing your controller again.
Replace Low Batteries
If you encounter glitchy play with your Luna Controller on Steam, the batteries may be low and need to be replaced. You can monitor the battery level on the Luna Controller app.
Check Your USB-C Connection
In cases where the connection fails, check whether your cable is a USB-C. You can also try using different ports on your PC or uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers from the device manager.