When looking to purchase a new device for your home, consider how that device will fit in with the other devices. Poor compatibility can make even the best smart tech useless in your home, and that includes your smart TV.
Yes, the iPhone is capable of using screen mirroring with a Sony TV in two main ways. You can use Airplay, which is built into most iPhones running IOS13 or higher, or you can download the Screen Mirroring app. Please be advised that iPhones that run on IOS 12 or lower do not have the option for Airplay.
This can become an issue when it comes to compatibility with Apple products, but with the right information, you can always find a solution that works for you! In this article, we’re answering the question, can an iPhone screen mirror a Sony TV? Let’s find out!
Successful Screen Mirroring
For compatible IOS 13 devices, the simplest way to do so is with the Air Screen TV or the Screen Mirroring App. Download and install the Screen Mirroring App, then follow the instructions below.
To use AIr Screen TV, follow the steps below:
- Check to verify that both your iPhone and your Sony TV are connected to the same wifi network
- Select the Screen Mirroring app on your phone
- Your device will automatically begin searching for your Sony TV. Select your Sony TV
- Select Start Mirroring
- Select Mirror Sony TV
- Select OK to authorize the connection on your TV with the remote
- Select Start Broadcast, and your content will appear on your TV screen
Apple TV Device
You have the option to use the Apple TV device to connect to all of your content easily, as well as mirroring your phone screen to your Sony TV. This is the simplest and easiest way to stream content from your iPhone to any brand of smart TV.
To install and connect an Apple TV device, follow the instructions below:
- Connect the Apple TV device to your Sony TV using the provided instructions
- Check to verify that both the Apple TV and your iPhone are connected to the same wifi network
- Swipe up or down on your phone screen, depending on your device, and select Control Center
- Select Screen Mirroring
- Select the TV connected to your Apple TV device
- A Check Mark will appear next to your TV selection
- Your iPhone screen will be mirrored on your TV, and you may now select the content you wish to display on your TV
The Hard Wiring Option
When all else fails, hard wiring is always an excellent option. You can purchase an HDMI adapter to connect your IPhone directly to your Sony TV. While this is not as convenient as a wireless option, it is almost guaranteed to work.
Make sure to purchase an adapter that is compatible with your iPhone’s charging port, as well as an HDMI cable that is compatible with both the adapter and your Sony TV. You also must make sure that there is enough length to your HDMI cable to reach your phone safely. We recommend an HDMI cable that is at least 6 feet in length.
To connect your device, simply follow the instructions below:
- Plug the adapter into your phone
- Plug the HDMI cable into the adaptor
- Plug the opposite end of the HDMI cable into your Sony TV
- Using your TV remote, open the Menu and select Input
- Select the HDMI port you are using.
- When you have selected the correct HDMI port, your phone screen will be displayed on your TV.
Additional Information Regarding Screen Mirroring
There are other options available when mirroring your iPhone screen to your Sony TV. However, they do come with some caveats:
- You can directly cast from your iPhone using the YouTube App, but will not be able to select other options on your phone. This is not true mirroring but is useful if you wish to watch Youtube content.
- The Miracast App is an option but is limited to types of content that will be supported. We suggest checking the Apple Store specs listed on the app details, as devices running an IOS operating system earlier than IOS 13 have limitations.
- Chromecast is an option, but with limitations similar to Miracast.
While compatibility with Apple devices can be a bit challenging, it’s nothing you can’t handle with a little research. But in this article, we’ve got you covered with the easiest ways to mirror your iPhone screen to your Sony TV!