Ring Doorbell Audio and Sound Guide: Troubleshooting Tips
By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Ring Doorbell is a fantastic addition to any home; it allows us to feel much safer and secure. It also lets us talk to people as they come to our front door and allows us to see who is around our home. So, when the Ring Doorbell’s audio and sound don’t work, it can be very frustrating and leave us feeling vulnerable.
Audio issues with the Ring Doorbell are usually related to a problem with the Wi-Fi or the device’s sound settings. Check the settings to ensure that all the sound features are on and move the device closer to the router. Users can also try resetting the device by pressing the main button for 20 seconds.
You may still be wondering exactly how to reboot your Ring Doorbell and how to check all the sound settings. Don’t worry; we will cover all of this in the article. Keep reading for a full guide on how to reset your doorbell, as well as other troubleshooting tips for your device’s audio and sound issues.
Why Can’t I Talk on My Ring Doorbell?
All Ring Doorbells come with features that allow you to talk to people through the app or microphone. If you can’t talk with your doorbell, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Check your Wi-Fi Connection. You can check the Wi-Fi under Device Health on your Ring app. It will show your Wi-Fi strength and whether you may need to move your router closer.
- Turn off Bluetooth. Sometimes the Bluetooth on your device can interfere with the audio.
- Check your volume level. Check the volume under Audio Controls in the app. Make sure they are turned up to a level that you can hear and talk through.
- Check to see if you can hear stored recordings. In your app, you should be able to view stored recordings. If you can hear old recordings, then the problem lands with your volume level being too low.
The troubleshooting tips above are basic steps you can follow to fix your audio. However, sometimes they do not work, and your device will have to be reset. Follow the steps below to restart your doorbell:
- Turn your device off. Either remove the battery or unplug it.
- Leave the device off for 30 seconds. After this time, restart the device and see if the audio issues are resolved. If not, you will need a full reset.
- To reset the device, hold down the large orange or black button for 20 seconds.
- Wait for it to restart. The device should automatically restart once it has finished the reboot process.
Note: Keep in mind that a full reset will erase all your settings and data. You will need to set up your device again for it to work with your Wi-Fi.
Why Can’t People Hear Me on My Ring Doorbell?
Sometimes you may be able to talk to people, but they cannot hear you. Check out these steps to ensure that you can always be heard on your Ring doorbell:
- Enable the microphone. Go into Audio Controls in your Ring app and toggle the microphone to the on position.
- Turn on the two-way talk feature. This can also be checked through Audio Controls in the app. Make sure you are tapping the green button when you want to speak to someone.
- Check privacy settings. The problem could be with your phone settings. Open Settings on your device, then Privacy, then Microphone. Make sure Ring has access to your microphone.
- Reset the device. If the above tips don’t work, you will need to reset the device. Hold down the main setup button for 20 seconds.
Can You Increase or Decrease the Volume on Your Ring Doorbell?
The volume on your Ring doorbell can be adjusted pretty easily. You can change the chime volume as well as the speaking volume. To change the chime volume, follow these steps:
- Open the Ring app. Then access the menu from the top left corner.
- Choose Devices. Select Ring or Chime from Devices.
- Tap on Tones. Slide the volume up or down.
To change the external volume, follow these steps:
- Open the Ring app. From here, click on Audio Controls.
- Select External Volume Control. Toggle the volume to the desired level to increase or decrease the sound.
Each ring device can differ slightly in its settings. The Ring community suggests you visit their website to see the exact audio and sound controls for your specific device.
This video is great for getting started with your doorbell and ensuring that all your audio controls are set up properly.
Fixing audio issues on your Ring Doorbell can be done quickly at home. Always check your Wi-Fi connection and your audio control settings in the Ring app. If you need to reboot the device, press and hold down the setup button until the device restarts.