LG TVs are some of the best brands on the market known for amazing picture and sound quality. However, on some of the newer TVs, pop-ups can come up and ruin your viewing and listening experience. Learning how to block pop-ups will make using your TV much easier and more enjoyable.
There are several reasons why pop-ups might come up on your LG TV. Below, we will discuss these sources and how to avoid them and dismiss them, so you don’t have to deal with them annoying you each time you watch your TV.
Make Sure the TV is in Home Mode
When you see a TV in the store, they put it into Store Mode. Sometimes the TV will still be in store mode when you bring it home and will bring up more pop-ups than necessary. Make sure the TV is in home mode to avoid pop-ups:
- Use the remote to select Menu.
- Choose Options.
- Choose Initial Setting.
- Select the language you want the TV to be in.
- Select Home Use.
This is one of the most common reasons you see pop-ups on the TV, but it isn’t the only one. If your TV is already on Home mode and you still get pop-ups, try some of the steps below.
Block Live Plus
One of the reasons LG TVs might give you pop-ups is that they have a feature called “Live Plus” that allows them to track what you watch and listen to. Then, the TV will show you pop-ups based on what it will think you like based on what you watched previously.
Turning off Live Plus is one way to get this tracking—and subsequent ads—to stop:
- Press the Settings button on the remote.
- Select All Settings.
- Select General.
- Choose Live Plus.
- Toggle the button Off.
Along with turning off Live Plus, you might also want to turn off the personalized settings to limit the number of ads:
- Choose All Settings.
- Select General.
- Choose About This TV.
- Choose User Agreements.
You’ll have to opt-out of the ads; however, you may find that some of these agreements are required to use select features on the TV.
Only Use the Smart Features When You Need Them
Anytime you use the smart features on your TV, the software can record the things you do on the TV and then create advertisements you might like. However, you don’t always have to use the smart features, especially if you aren’t streaming or using the internet.
Follow these steps:
- Go into Settings.
- Select Network.
- Choose Wi-Fi.
- Delete the network password.
Smart TVs do not allow you to turn the Wi-Fi off, so the only way to disconnect from the internet is to delete your password. You can also choose to unplug your router when you don’t want to use the smart features.
However, this means you won’t be able to use the Wi-Fi on any devices if the router is not on. Remember you don’t need the smart features on your LG TV if:
- You’re using the DVD player.
- You’re using an Xbox or other gaming system.
- You’re watching movies from an HDMI output.
Block Ads at the Router
Another common way to block ads on LG TVs is to block them directly at the router. This requires more tech skills than the other methods and might take some more research to get it done properly. However, it’s one of the most effective methods to ensure you don’t see any more ads.
For a full guide on how to block IP address on a router, you can check out this guide. Here is a simple overview of the steps:
- Using a computer, open a web browser and type in 192.168.0.1.
- Enter in your username and password for the router.
- Search for Firewall or Block Sites under the configuration page that pops up. You might also want to search for Content Filtering, Parental Filtering, or Security.
- Click the link for the configuration page after typing in the filters.
- Type the name of the IP address you want to block where it says, “type keyword or domain here.”
- Click Add.
- Click Apply at the bottom of the configuration page.
- Reboot your router to activate the new settings.
For most LG TVs, you will want to block the following IP addresses:
Pop-ups, when you’re trying to watch TV or stream your favorite show on your LG TV, can be annoying. Most of the fixes to make the pop-ups go away are simple fixes and can be done in just a few simple steps.