When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It’s frustrating when you’re listening to your favorite music, but it stops altogether when you open Facebook.
We’ve compiled some helpful tips to help you stop Facebook from pausing music automatically.
Why Does My Music Stop When I Open Facebook?
Your music might stop playing when you open Facebook because of:
- Autoplay settings
- Browser settings
- Camera settings
- Automatic sound settings
Whatever’s causing the issue, it’s usually easy to fix.
How to Fix Music Stopping When Facebook Opens
If your music stops playing when you open Facebook, you’ll need to check a few settings depending on your device.
Here’s how you can stop Facebook from pausing your music on any device.
1. Close All Background Apps
To make sure it’s actually Facebook causing the problem and not another app you have open, it’s a good idea to close any background apps you have running other than Facebook and your music streaming app.
If the problem persists when Facebook and your music service are the only things running, you’ll need to keep troubleshooting.
2. Turn Off Autoplay
By default, Facebook will autoplay videos that come up in your feed. This means if a video starts playing, your music will stop.
Here’s how you can turn autoplay off on the Facebook desktop site:
- Open Facebook on your web browser.
- Click your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Select “Settings & Privacy.”
- Click “Settings.”
- Select “Videos” in the left-side menu.
- Click the drop-down menu to the right of “Auto-Play Videos” and select “Off.”
These settings only apply to the desktop version of Facebook. You’ll need to open the Facebook app if you want to change your autoplay settings on a mobile device.
Adjust Your Autoplay Settings in the Facebook App
Facebook videos also play automatically by default in the Facebook app. If a video pops up, your music will pause.
Here’s how to adjust the setting on Android:
- Open the Facebook app.
- Tap the Menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and select “Settings & Privacy.”
- Tap “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap “Media and Contacts.”
- Select “Autoplay” and choose “Never Autoplay Videos.”
And here’s how you can adjust your settings on iPhone:
- Open the Facebook app.
- Tap the Menu icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap the gear icon to open your Settings & Privacy page.
- Select “Media” under “Preferences.”
- Scroll down to “Autoplay” and check the circle next to “Never Autoplay Videos.”
If you don’t want to turn autoplay off completely, you can also toggle “Videos Start with Sound” off in the Autoplay menu.
After changing these settings, the Facebook app won’t autoplay videos. This won’t change even after restarting your phone.
3. Change Your Browser Settings
If turning off autoplay doesn’t fix the problem, you may need to change your browser settings. You can do this on:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
Change Your Google Chrome Settings
To stop Facebook from automatically pausing your music when your browse on Google Chrome, you’ll need to block websites from playing sound:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Press the three vertical dots in the top-right corner, next to your Google profile picture.
- Select “Settings.”
- Press “Privacy and Security” in the left-side menu.
- Select “Site Settings.”
- Scroll to the bottom and click “Additional Content Settings.”
- Select your Sound settings.
- Find “Not Allowed to Play Sound” and click “Add.”
- Type “https://facebook.com” in the text box.
- Press “Add” to confirm.
Change Your Firefox Settings
If you use Firefox, follow the steps below to block Facebook from automatically playing sound:
- Open Firefox.
- Select the “Firefox” menu at the top of the screen, then click “Preferences.”
- Select “Privacy & Security.”
- Scroll down to “Permissions” and click “Settings” next to “Autoplay.”
- Type “https://facebook.com” into the search box.
- Change Facebook’s status to “Block Audio.”
Change Your Microsoft Edge Settings
You can adjust your Microsoft Edge settings to ensure new tabs are always set to mute by default:
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Select the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the browser.
- Select “Settings.”
- Select “Cookies and Site Permissions.”
- Scroll down and select “Media Autoplay.”
- Set “Control if audio and video play automatically on sites” to “Block.”
4. Turn off Facebook Camera and Microphone Access
For whatever reason, Facebook having access to your phone’s camera can cause your music to stop playing when you open the app. Here’s how you can turn off the app’s access to your camera on iPhone:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and select “Facebook.”
- Check if your camera or microphone is listed. If so, toggle camera and microphone access off.
And here’s how to do it on Android:
- Open your settings.
- Select “Apps,” then tap “Apps” again.
- Select “Facebook,” then “Permissions.”
- Make sure “Camera” and “Microphone” are set to “Denied.”
Turning off Facebook’s access to your camera won’t only prevent your music from being interrupted. It’ll also help ensure your privacy remains intact.
Keeping Music Playing While Using Other Apps
Facebook’s not the only app that can interfere with your music. The reasons certain apps pause your music when you open them include:
- You have in-app sound enabled. Check the app’s settings for an option to disable it.
- The app has access to your microphone. Turn off the app’s microphone permissions in your phone’s settings.
- The app developer doesn’t allow background media playback.
- Your phone doesn’t have enough memory to run the app and play music simultaneously. You can check your available memory in your phone’s settings.
- You need to update your phone.
Will My Facebook Settings Change After an Update?
Facebook releases updates frequently. Because these updates encompass such a wide range of features, it’s hard to say if future updates will affect your autoplay settings.
The best way to be sure is to check your Facebook account settings each time you update the app. Make sure “Autoplay Videos” is always toggled off.