When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
These days, our homes are filled with all kinds of smart devices. Since there are so many different brands, you may wonder if their products are compatible. For instance, will an LG Soundbar and a Samsung TV work together?
LG Soundbar works with Samsung TVs and can be hooked up with either HDMI or wireless connections. Installing the components together involves resetting the sound output and plugging the soundbar into the Samsung TV.
Hooking up an LG Soundbar to your entertainment system isn’t difficult. But there are a few things you should know before getting started. Keep reading to learn more about installing an LG Soundbar on your Samsung TV.
Is LG Soundbar Compatible With Samsung TV?
Samsung televisions are compatible with various third-party soundbars, including those from LG. This makes them one of the more flexible entertainment systems for different devices.
An LG Soundbar and a Samsung TV are fully compatible. Samsung recommends using its soundbars for maximum sound quality, but this is unnecessary. When properly connected, an LG soundbar can deliver excellent audio quality with a Samsung TV.
How to Use HDMI to Hook Up a Soundbar
One of the simplest ways to hook up an LG Soundbar to a Samsung TV is by using an HDMI cable.
Aside from being easy to use, an HDMI cable offers high digital audio quality. Follow these steps to connect your LG Soundbar to your Samsung TV with an HDMI cable:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT port on the LG soundbar.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI or HDMI ARC port on the back of your Samsung TV.
- Open the sound menu on your Samsung TV and “Select Output Option.” You should see a Soundbar option. Toggle the switch to enable it as your sound output.
Optional: Newer Samsung Smart TV models have a feature known as Aynet+. This automatically activates and deactivates your soundbar whenever the TV is turned on or off. Enable this feature in the TV control panel if available.
If you have a Samsung One Connect Box, you should find an HDMI ARC port for connecting a soundbar.
TIP: A three-foot double-ended HDMI cable should be long enough to connect the soundbar. Avoid using an unnecessarily long HDMI cable. This will increase the chances of it getting accidentally ripped out of a port.
Is It Better to Connect a Soundbar with HDMI or Optical Cables?
Aside from an HMDI cable, another option for connecting a soundbar using an optical cable.
It should be noted that not all TVs have an optical cable port. Optical cables are also more expensive than HDMI cables because they use fiber optics rather than copper wiring.
However, they’re less likely to suffer from electronic interference. They also enable a higher resolution of video and audio signals.
How to Wirelessly Hook Up an LG Soundbar to Samsung TV
There are a few reasons why you might not want to hook up your LG Soundbar with an HDMI cable. Here are just a few of them:
- Number of ports: If you have a gaming console or other device, your HDMI cable port may not be available to connect a soundbar.
- Less clutter: Using an HDMI cable can add to the clutter of unsightly wires and cables around your entertainment system.
- Safety: Cables like those used to connect an LG soundbar to a Samsung TV can pose a tripping hazard. This can result in injury or damage to your entertainment system.
Fortunately, you can connect an LG Soundbar to your Samsung TV without attaching a cable to the HDMI port.
Follow these steps to hook up your soundbar to the TV wirelessly:
- Put your LG soundbar into pairing mode by pressing the pairing button on the device or the Bluetooth button on the remote.
- Press the Home button on your Samsung TV remote to access the control panel on your Samsung TV.
- In the Settings menu, select “Sound” > “Sound Output”
- Tap “Bluetooth Speaker List” and select your soundbar.
- Your Samsung TV will scan for the soundbar and display Need Pairing or Paired. Tap whichever messages you see to sync the soundbar and your Samsung TV.
The steps for connecting an LG soundbar to a Samsung TV wirelessly can differ depending on the model year of your TV.
For instance, the above steps will work for most Samsung TVs made in 2017 or later. For earlier models, the steps slightly differ:
- For Samsung TVs made in 2016, navigate to “Settings” > “Sound” > “Expert Settings” > “Wireless Speaker Manager” > “Bluetooth Audio Devices.” Select your soundbar from the list that appears.
- For 2014 and 2015 Samsung TVs, you need to use SoundConnect. Navigate to “Sound” > “Speaker Settings” > “Add New Device.” Enable this option to link a soundbar to your TV.
Troubleshooting an LG Soundbar Installation
Your Samsung TV Does Not Support Bluetooth
One of the most common reasons an LG soundbar is not working with a Samsung TV is your TV does not support Bluetooth.
Even if your TV does not have Bluetooth built-in, you can still use a Bluetooth adapter to connect a soundbar.
To find out if your Samsung TV has Bluetooth connectivity, refer to your owner’s manual and review the technical specifications.
You can also go through your Settings options and see if there is a Bluetooth option in any of the tabs.
Pairing Mode is not Enabled
Make sure that your LG soundbar is in pairing mode while you set up the audio options on your Samsung TV.
While you’re at it, make sure that your Samsung TV isn’t already connected to another audio output device, like wireless headphones or speakers.
A connection issue could be due to a problem with your LG soundbar. One way to test this is by connecting another Bluetooth device (such as wireless headphones) to your Samsung TV.
It may be helpful to reset an LG soundbar if you’re having difficulty connecting it to your Samsung TV. Reset methods differ according to the soundbar model. For instance:
- For Model Numbers NB5530, LAP340, NB5540, NB4540, and NB3540, simultaneously press the [-] button on the soundbar and the  button on the remote for at least 5 seconds.
- For Model Numbers NB4530A and NB2430A, simultaneously press the STOP button on the soundbar and the  button on the remote for at least 5 seconds.
FAQ: LG Soundbars and Samsung TVs
Are LG Soundbars compatible with all TVs?
LG soundbars can be connected to any TV that has HDMI ports in the back or built-in Bluetooth connectivity. Even older TVs without Bluetooth can connect wirelessly to LG soundbars using a Bluetooth adapter.
Does it matter which HDMI port is used for a soundbar?
Yes. For optimal sound quality, you should connect a soundbar to an HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC port on the back of your TV.
What other soundbars work with Samsung TVs?
LG isn’t the only soundbar that works with Samsung TV. You can connect your Samsung TV with soundbars and audio equipment from these respected manufacturers: