How to Connect Bose Smart Speaker to Alexa
Alexa is a convenient personal home assistant program largely because of how many secondary devices it’s compatible with. Alexa is compatible with many Bose products, including some of the company’s most popular smart speakers.
Connecting Bose smart speakers to Alexa is simple if you choose a speaker that’s compatible with the program. Keep reading to learn which Bose speakers are compatible with Alexa and your other Amazon smart products.
Bose smart speakers are set up in the Alexa system by enabling Bose in the Games and Skills menu of the Alexa software application. To connect your smart speaker to Alexa, you’ll need to have already your Amazon account set up and ready to go. You’ll also need to have your Bose Soundtouch account synced to your Amazon account.
Once you’ve signed into Amazon and Alexa’s app, perform the following (Source: AlfanoTV):
- Open the Alexa app. To do this, you’ll need to download the app on your smartphone or tablet. You can also access Alexa from your Amazon Smart Home products such as Amazon Echo.
- Go to the main menu. You can access Alexa’s main menu by tapping on the menu icon present in the top left-hand corner of the app’s interface. The menu is marked by a symbol made of three parallel lines.
- In the main menu, find the Bose speaker. Go to the search bar and type in Bose. If the speaker is synced via Bluetooth to your wireless Internet connection, the Bose speaker should appear in the search results.
- Select the Bose speaker and choose “Pair to new device.” This should connect your Bose speaker to Alexa in your smart home system.
And that’s it! At this point, your Bose smart speaker should be connected to Alexa and should be compatible with most of Alexa’s functions.
Using Alexa with Bose Smart Speakers
Thanks to a good deal of built-in compatibility between the two brands, connecting your Bose Smart speaker to Alexa is a relatively simple process.
Bose smart speakers can be connected to Alexa by enabling the Bose Skill in Alex’s software application on your smartphone or other Alexa-enabled Amazon device. Any compatible Bose smart speaker should show up in Alexa’s app with a wireless Internet connection.
To start out, you’ll need to ensure that you have a wireless Internet connection and that you’ve already pressed the Bluetooth button on your powered Bose speaker. This action will allow the Bose speaker to show up on wireless networks. (Source: Bose)
The next step in the process is to enable the Bose Skill on Alexa’s software.
While not all of Alexa’s voice commands and systems can be controlled via your Bose smart speakers, there is a lot of crossover in functionality between the two devices. Here are some of the major functions you can control in Alexa through your Bose smart speakers (Source: Bose):
- Music playback: Just like controlling an Amazon Echo, connecting your Bose speakers to Alexa allows you to command your speakers to play the radio or choose music to play back from your Spotify playlists.
- TV remote control: If you have a hard time keeping up with a handheld TV remote, try controlling your TV through your smart speaker. All you have to do is use voice commands to turn the TV on and switch to whatever TV channel you like.
- Setting timers and alarms: Once they’re connected to Alexa, your smart speaker system can help you keep track of your daily schedule and monthly calendar by passing on alerts, storing alarms, and other timekeeping tasks.
- General information requests: Just like any of Amazon’s smart speakers, hooking your Bose smart speaker into Alexa allows you to ask for general information requests such as the daily weather forecast.
Once your Bose smart speaker is hooked directly into Alexa’s software, it should function almost as well as any of Amazon’s smart speakers.
All of Bose’s most popular smart speakers are compatible with Alexa and other Amazon smart products. This is a short list of the Bose smart speakers that will work with your Alexa software application:
- Home Speaker 300: The Home Speaker 300 is a great smart speaker choice for connecting to Alexa since this speaker already has Alexa built-in. This speaker allows for hands-free calling, music playback, and three-way controls via voice commands, the Alexa app, or the speaker itself.
- Smart Speaker 500: With impressive acoustic range for a single room speaker, the Smart Speaker 500 is another Bose smart speaker with Alexa compatibility built-in. The Smart Speaker 500 is part of a larger family of Bose smart sound products that are all compatible with each other as well as Alexa.
- Portable Smart Speaker: If you want to use Alexa while you’re outdoors on the patio or porch, the Portable Smart Speaker is for you. This speaker is perfect for keeping an eye on the household through your smart home’s systems even if you’re outside in the garden or garage.
No matter which of the above Bose smart speakers you choose for your Amazon-based smart home, it should be able to perform the basic functions of any other Alexa-enabled smart speaker, including those that are native to the Amazon system.
If you’re looking for a smart speaker system that will work well with your pre-existing Alexa smart home assistant, Bose is a great product line to check into. With several high-quality devices that are compatible with Alexa’s software, these speakers have a high level of crossover compatibility with Amazon’s smart home systems.