How to Add More Storage to the Fire TV Cube
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One of the biggest complains of the Amazon Fire TV cube is its space, there is not enough space to use as many apps as you’d like This will definitely leave you feeling frustrated or annoyed because you have to constantly delete more and more things in other to make space for new apps and media because you only have 16GB.
Fortunately, the Fire TV cube supports internal storage expansion via the use of an external USB drive. You can do this following these steps:
- Connect the Fire TV cube and OTG cable, then turn on the TV. Do not plug in the USB drive.
- Once plugged in and powered on, go to the homes screen and then plug the external USB drive into the OTG cable. The Fire TV Cube will then format the USB drive and prepare it for use.
- If this doesn’t happen, a prompt should appear on screen asking what you want to do with the drive you plugged in. Select “Device Storage” if you want to use the USB for storage, your device should automatically be formatted after this.
- Please note that doing this will result in the drive becoming dedicated for only storing apps and you will need to format it again if you want to use it for something else.
- If your device was formatted automatically, then you will need to head to Settings> My Fire TV> USB Drive and click on the “Format to Internal Storage” option on screen.
- Select “Yes” to confirm you want to format the selected drive. Once this is done, all of the data on the drive will be deleted. This means that this USB drive cannot be used for anything else while it is in use by the Fire TV Cube.
- It may take several minutes to format depending on the size of the drive, be patient and wait. With this, you’ve added more storage to your Fire TV Cube, now you can add more apps and media to it.
- A compatible USB is a USB 2.0 with a lot of space.
Now you have successfully added more storage to your Fire TV Cube, keep reading to find out more information about your external USB on the Fire TV Cube.
Fire TV USB Drive Not Working?
Sometimes the USB drive connected to the Fire Cube may not work or may not even be detected, this will prevent you from accessing the drive and you can’t watch videos or even add more storage to your fire cube. If you are having any problems with the Fire TV Cube, try any of these and it should help.
To carry out a force reset, all you need to do is turn it off then turn it back on.
While it sounds a bit generic, it’s the first recommended solution for most tech problems. To reset the Fire TV Cube, press and hold both “select” and play buttons at the same time until the Fire TV Cube resets itself.
Your screen should go black for a few seconds and then you should see the Fire TV cube logo. This should reset and reboot your Fire TV and might fix the problem.
If you would like to learn more about the Fire TV Cube, check out this article.
Format The USB
Unplug the USB drive and use another device like a PC to format the USB drive. This is because the USB might be corrupted. This should wipe off all the data on the drive and get everything to look as good as new.
Is The Voltage High Enough For The Fire TV Cube To Work?
This is quite rare but there are some cases where the power going into the USB drive is not enough to power it efficiently. This will result in a malfunction.
To fix this, ensure that the power brick you are using is sending enough power to the Fire TV cube and USB Drive. The recommended power supply for the Fire TV cube is 12V, 1.25A, 15 W.
Use A Supported Drive
If the drive you are using doesn’t match the Fire TV’s specifications then that could be your problem. To fix it, make sure you use drives that are supported by the Fire TV cube. Some cubes only support USB 2.0, so be sure to use the supported USB drive.
The Amazon Fire TV Cube brings the diversity of television to your fingertips right in your sitting room, but sometimes we may need to increase the amount of apps and media we can have to enjoy usage to the fullest. In this article, we explored how to add more storage to the Fire TV cube with step by step instructions on how to get the job done.
We also took a detour to show you how to fix a USB drive that isn’t working on your Fire TV cube, we hope this article serves you well.