Everyone loves the Apple AirPods. They are sleek, have the best sound, and look good. With Apple constantly releasing new devices and headphones, you might want to sell your old AirPods or give it away. This means that you would have to transfer ownership, but is this as complicated as it sounds?
To transfer ownership of your AirPods, you need to perform a factory reset on the AirPods, forget the AirPods from your phone, and remove your Apple ID from them making it ready to connect to the new owners device.
Keep reading to find out more about how to do this!
How To Remove Your Apple ID From Your AirPods
When you connect to AirPods, they naturally show up on your Apple Watch, laptop and other devices. This means that it is closely intertwined with your Apple ID. To disconnect, you’re going to have to forget the AirPods on your device.
To remove your AirPods or AirPods Pro, you need to:
1. Go to Settings
2. Click on “Bluetooth” on your device
3. Find the name of your AirPods or AirPods Pro and Tap on the blue, circled “i” next to it
4. On the page that pops up, you then click on the “Forget This Device”
You should also change the name of the device if the name is yours before disconnecting. You can do this just before forgetting the device. Tap on the “Name” section and rename the device. Preferably to the name of the new owner.
There are a few other ways to remove your Apple ID from your AirPods:
- Access another Apple Device (Macbook or iPad) while connected to the Airpods and Forget Device from the Bluetooth settings.
- Access another Apple Device (Macbook or iPad) while connected to the Airpods and use the Find My app and remove the device from your Apple ID.
Once you forget the AirPods from one of your devices, it disconnects from your Apple ID.
If Previous Owner Can’t Remove the Apple ID from AirPods?
Unfortunately, the only way to have the Apple ID removed from the AirPods is by the previous owner.
This means that the previous owner can still track the AirPods location using the Find My app.
This can be frustrating if you can’t get into contact with the previous owner.
We even reached out to Apple Support and they verified this exact information.
Even Factory Resetting your AirPods will not remove the Apple ID.
How To Factory Reset Your AirPods
In order to factory reset the AirPods, you need to:
- Open your AirPods
- Press the setup button at the back of your AirPods for at least 10-15 seconds
- Hold the setup button until the status light starts to flash in amber and then flashes white
- Your AirPods will have to be repaired to any old devices
How To Setup New AirPods
You must be really excited for your new AirPods and want to set it up. To set up your new AirPods, you need to follow these steps:
- With the AirPods still in the AirPods case, on the Home Screen of your iPhone or iPad, open the lid of your AirPods case
- Open the lid of the AirPods case next to your device
- Your iOS device will detect the AirPods via Bluetooth and you’ll see a popup to ask you if the AirPods are yours.
- Tap on “Connect”
- You’ll be asked to press and hold on the setup button at the back of the AirPods case
- Press it for about 5-10 seconds and the popup message on your device will change to “Connecting”
- When the connection is complete, the popup will display the battery percentage for both the AirPods ears and the case
How To Find Your Missing AirPods
AirPods are really small. This means that they might easily go missing or he swiped. But Apple has you covered. The “Find my iPhone” feature helps you locate your missing Apple devices.
To set up find my iPhone, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on your name.
- Tap on the “Find My” and turn on “Share My Location”
- Tap on “ Find my iPhone” and turn it on. This will enable your family and friends to be able to track you.
- To be able to find your device even when it’s offline, turn on “Find My network.”
- To have the location of your device sent to Apple even when the device is turned on because the battery is low, turn on Send Last Location.
With iOS 10.3 and up, Find my iPhone can also help you track your missing AirPods as well if you have used the Airpods on your device before. Just use Find my iPhone to find them again.
If your AirPods are out of range of all your devices, need charging, or if they are in an AirPod box, Find my iPhone search feature can help show the time and place where they were last connected.
The AirPods are so sleek and fun to use. It’s extremely important that you know your way around it and we hope this article informs you on how to do just that!