When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whether your remote is broken, lost, or the batteries are dead, there are many ways to control an Insignia smart TV without a remote.
Here, we’ll go over everything you can use besides a remote to control your Insignia TV.
Use the Buttons on the TV
If you just need a temporary way to control your TV without a remote control, you can use the buttons on the TV itself.
But these days, not all Insignia TV models have buttons. If you can’t find them, look on the side or bottom of the TV. Some have all the buttons you’re used to, while some just have a power button, and others have no buttons at all.
Some Insignia TV models have their buttons hidden under a cover. Look for a cover on the bottom or side of your TV and flip it open gently. You should find the buttons here.
Keep reading if your Insignia TV doesn’t have buttons or you need a more permanent solution.
Use Your Smartphone
An easy way to control your Insignia TV without a remote is with your smartphone.
Many Insignia smart TVs use Amazon Fire OS. If you have one of these models, you can download the Fire TV app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and connect it to your TV:
- Open the Fire TV app.
- See if your TV appears under the available devices on the home screen. If not, tap “Set Up New Device.”
- Select “Fire TV” and wait for the app to locate your Insignia Fire TV.
- Tap “Remote” at the bottom of the screen.
You can use the buttons on your screen to control your TV.
If you have an Insignia Roku TV, you can download the Roku app. Here’s how to use it to control your TV:
- Open the Roku app.
- Tap “Devices” at the bottom of the screen.
- Wait for the app to find your TV. Then, select it and connect.
There isn’t an official Insignia TV remote app for the company’s other smart TVs. There are some apps available for download, but they often aren’t very reliable.
Get a Universal Remote
If you want a physical remote to replace your Insignia remote, get a universal remote control. This is usually the best option, as you can control all the functions you would with the original remote.
Use a Streaming Device Remote
If you have a non-smart Insignia TV, you probably have some kind of streaming device you use to watch your favorite shows.
If your streaming device remote has volume controls and a power button, you can use it to control these features on your TV.
Here’s how to set a Roku remote to control your Insignia TV:
- Open your Roku home screen.
- Select “Settings” on the left-side menu.
- Choose “Remotes & Devices,” then “Remote.”
- Select your Roku remote.
- Press “Set Up Remote for TV Control.”
Here’s how you can set a Fire TV Cube or FireStick remote to control your Insignia TV:
- Open your Fire TV home screen.
- Press the gear icon to open your settings.
- Select “Equipment Control.”
- Navigate through Manage Equipment > TV > Change TV.
- Select “Insignia” as your TV brand.
- Follow the prompts on-screen.
When you’re done, you’ll be able to press the power button to turn your TV on or off and use the volume buttons to change the volume.
Control Your Insignia TV with Alexa
If you have an Insignia Fire TV or another Insignia TV with Alexa built-in, you can connect it to Alexa and use voice commands to turn your TV on and off, open different streaming apps, and more.
First, make sure your TV is set up for Alexa and you’re logged into the same Amazon account your Alexa device is linked to. Then, follow the steps below:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap “More” in the bottom-right corner.
- Navigate through Settings > TV & Video > Fire TV > Link Your Alexa Device.
- Select your TV from the list and tap “Continue.”
- Choose the Alexa device you want to control your TV.
- Press “Link Devices.”
Now you can use voice commands like, “Alexa, turn on my TV,” or “Alexa, open Netflix” to control your Insignia TV.
Connect a Video Game Controller
If you have an Insignia Fire TV, you can connect a Bluetooth game controller to your TV and control it that way.
However, you’ll need to use something else to navigate the screen before you can use the controller. The easiest thing to use is the Fire TV app.
Here’s how to connect a game controller to your Insignia Fire TV:
- Put your Bluetooth game controller in pairing mode.
- Press the gear icon on the Fire TV home screen to open your settings.
- Select “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.”
- Press “Game Controllers,” then “Add New Game Controller.”
- Wait for your TV to find your controller, then connect to it.
Use a Keyboard and Mouse
Insignia TVs support the use of USB keyboards and mouses. Just connect both to a USB port on your TV, and you’re ready to start controlling your TV!
Some of the best keyboards and mouses to use with an Insignia TV include:
How to Fix an Insignia TV Remote
If you still have your Insignia TV’s remote but think it’s broken, you may be able to fix it.
If changing the batteries doesn’t work, try a power cycle. Start by unplugging the TV for a few minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on using the buttons on the TV or the remote.
Still having trouble? Your remote might have come unpaired from your TV. Here’s how you can reset and re-pair the remote to your Insignia Fire TV:
- Unplug your TV from the wall. Leave it unplugged for about one minute.
- Press and hold the left, menu, and back buttons simultaneously for about 12 seconds.
- Let go of the buttons and wait five seconds.
- Remove the batteries from your Fire TV remote.
- Plug the TV back in and turn it on using the buttons on the TV. When it reboots, you should see a message saying your TV can’t detect your remote.
- Re-insert the batteries and press the Home button.
You should see a blue indicator light when your remote has been paired successfully.
Insignia Roku remotes use infrared light to connect to your TV. Because it doesn’t use Bluetooth to connect, it’ll never come unpaired.
If changing the batteries and power cycling the TV doesn’t work, make sure there are no obstructions in front of your TV’s infrared sensor.