With the introduction of smart TVs, apps that were once solely reserved for phones and tablets are now on the big screen. However, while having many options to choose from can be convenient, you may be wondering how you can declutter your home screen by removing a few apps you may not be using, like YouTube.
Whether you can take YouTube off your smart TV will depend on the device you purchased. You may be able to delete the app by going into your apps’ hub or going into your TV’s settings. There is no universal solution for how or if you can remove YouTube from your smart TV.
Below, we will talk about how you can manage your smart TV applications. While some TVs allow you to add and delete apps freely, others do not have this option.
How to Remove YouTube from Your Smart TV
Here are some of the TVs that allow you to remove apps:
Even if you do not see your particular brand listed here, do not dismay; you can always consult your product’s user manual to learn more about removing YouTube. If you threw out your user manual, you can usually download the PDF online.
Remove YouTube from Samsung Smart TV
First, turn on your TV and navigate to the home screen. At the bottom of the screen, you should see the different applications you have.
From there, with the remote:
- You will see three horizontal lines on the bottom left-hand side of the screen. Click on it.
- Highlight and select “apps.”
- Select YouTube and click on it.
- Click “delete.”
If you change your mind and want to reinstall YouTube, you can do this at any time. You can learn more about uninstalling YouTube on your Samsung smart TV by clicking here.
Remove YouTube from Roku Smart TV
The instructions for installing YouTube from your Roku smart TV are very similar to the steps listed above. First, power on your TV and go to the home screen. From there, hover over YouTube. It should have a little white box around the red icon.
- On your Roku remote, click the asterisk icon, as this will open up the app’s options menu.
- From the options menu, select “remove.”
Again, you can redownload YouTube at any time.
Remove YouTube from LG Smart TV
To uninstall YouTube from your TV, first power on the device. Then, select the little house icon on your LG remote. This will pull up your main menu screen.
- Scroll through your apps on the bottom of the screen until you reach the white pencil icon.
- Click on the YouTube app.
- Press the up button on your remote, as this will select the little “x” hovering above the icon.
- Once the “x” turns into a little face, click “OK” on the remote.
- When it asks, “Are you sure you want to delete YouTube?” select OK.
You can learn more about removing YouTube from your LG TV by clicking here.
Remove YouTube from Toshiba Smart TV: Fire Edition
Go into the “settings” section of your smart TV. At that point, you should:
- Select applications and click on “Manage Installed Applications.”
- Scroll down and select the YouTube app.
- Choose “Uninstall.”
You can follow this same process for most apps that are installed on your smart TV.
Remove YouTube from Sony Smart TV
To remove YouTube for this device, you will need to go into the Google Play store. It may ask you for your log-in credentials.
To begin, you will need to:
- Turn on the TV and press the home button.
- Select “Apps” and then go to the Google Play store.
- Select “My Apps” on the top left-hand side.
- Choose YouTube.
- Press “Uninstall.”
You can learn more about removing apps from your Sony smart TV by clicking here.
Most Smart TVs and Streaming Devices Let You Remove Apps
The idea behind smart TVs is that they are customizable. Most of these products allow you to install and uninstall apps freely.
For both of these products, you can uninstall YouTube. However, the exact measures that go into doing so vary depending on what kind of device you are using.
YouTube is not the only app you can delete from your TV’s homepage. You can also delete apps like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
There are some apps that you cannot delete. For instance, you would not be able to delete the “settings” app or built-in web browsers on your TV since these applications are essential to the device’s overall function.
However, for a majority of smart TVs on today’s market, you can remove YouTube. The specific instructions for doing so will, again, depend on the type of product you purchased.