When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Ring Alarm system has multiple features that allow homeowners to customize their home security preferences. Owners set a four-digit security code to access and manage the system, but what happens if you forget your Ring Alarm code?
If you forget your Ring alarm code, it can be reset by the owner using the Ring app on the linked smartphone or tablet or as a last resort, restoring the device to factory settings. You cannot do this if you are a guest.
Keep reading to learn how to reset your Ring alarm code if you forget it!
Ring Device Management
Ring owners, as determined by a base unit being linked to a smartphone or tablet app, are the only ones who may access and change alarm codes.
All Ring devices and settings, including alarm codes, are managed through the Ring app on the owner’s smartphone or tablet. This includes the owner’s alarm code and any guest alarm codes.
Ring alarm systems can only be linked to one smartphone or tablet app, which helps ensure the system’s security. Access codes aren’t shown in the Ring app. So you cannot check what the code is by accessing the linked mobile app.
Ring users will have created an alarm code on the smartphone or tablet app when setting up the device system. You can reset your alarm code if you still have access to the app.
How to Change a Ring Alarm Code as an Owner
After you have the app up and running, follow these steps to reset your Ring Alarm code:
- Once the Ring app is running, touch to open the Menu option.
- If you have more than one Ring device managed from the app, check to ensure you’re in the right location with the selected device.
- Click on the settings option. This will bring you to the list of users. This list includes the owner and any shared users that the owners have set up.
- Select the owner’s name from the list. Typically, this will be the first name listed in the app.
- Once you have selected your name, choose the Reset Access Code option.
- You will be prompted to enter a new four-digit access code in this step. Make sure this code is something you can easily remember, but that can’t be easily guessed by others.
- Enter this code again. You should be sure that the codes are the same, or the reset will not be successful! If they do not match, you must complete steps 5 and 6.
- Select done, and then select save to ensure your change has been updated.
Once you have completed these steps, you will have a brand-new access code that you can use to help maintain the security of your home! You can begin using this new code right away.
Another thing you can do is wait for the Ring Alarm Routine to arm or disarm the system.
If you are locked out and need to get in the house immediately, the Ring Alarm can be armed and disarmed remotely.
How to Change the Ring Alarm Code as a Guest or Shared User
If you are set up as a guest or shared user of a Ring alarm, you cannot reset the forgotten code on your own. Owners are the only ones who can set up or change guest or shared user codes.
To reset a forgotten Ring alarm code as a guest or shared user, ask the owner to do so in their linked smartphone or tablet app.
The owner can reset a shared or guest alarm code by following the steps above, but instead of selecting their name in step 5, they should select the user whose code needs to be reset.
Once the code is reset by following the steps listed above, the owner will need to tell the shared or guest user what the code is. The user can begin using their new code immediately!
Factory Resetting Your Ring Device
If you carefully followed the steps above but could not reset your Ring alarm code, another option you can try is to perform a factory reset of your Ring device.
This step should only be used as a last resort. If you determine that you need to factory reset your ring, you should first contact Ring Customer Support for guidance.
This is not an easy process and can only be completed by the owner, and it cannot be done solely in the app. However, Ring Customer Support can guide you through the steps.
Forgetting your Ring alarm code can be stressful, but by following these easy steps, you can ensure that you maintain access to your Ring device to ensure your home is safe and secure!