When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Samsung Smart TVs are a great addition to any home because they allow you to stream all your favorite shows and movies from a selection of streaming apps. In order to access the streaming content, you need to know how to install the apps and update them periodically so that they continue to work properly.
The easiest way to update the apps on a Samsung Smart TV is to start from the Smart Hub page, click on the app that needs to be updated, click Enter and then click Update.
You might be wondering exactly how to update the apps and how to know which apps need to be updated. We will go over all the exact steps in this article. We will also discuss troubleshooting steps if you start to have problems with your apps.
How to Update Apps Manually on a Samsung Smart TV
If you want to update your apps manually instead of putting them on an automatic schedule, you can follow these steps below:
- Press the Smart Hub button.
- Select Features.
- Search for the apps that need to be updated and then press and hold the Enter button.
- Wait until a sub-menu appears.
- Select Update apps.
- Choose Select All.
- Select Update.
The app that you select will begin updating. It might take a few minutes. The screen should show you a progress bar to show you how close the app is to be done.
You can tell which apps need to be updated because they will show a small white arrow in a blue circle above the app. For a full guide on updating and troubleshooting apps, check this guide by Samsung.
Automatically Updating Apps
In some cases, you might find that putting your apps to automatically update is easier. This means you don’t have to constantly check for updates or wonder if the app is having a problem because it needs to be updated.
You can put your apps on an automatic update schedule by following the steps below:
- Press the home button on the remote control.
- Select Apps.
- Use your cursor to select the Settings icon.
- Press Enter.
- Keep the cursor on Auto-update.
- Press Enter to enable the function.
If you would like to learn more about Samsung TVs, check out this article. You can use the same steps above to disable the function, just choose to disable in the last step instead of enabling.
When Should I Update My Apps?
Apps should be updated as soon as you see there is an update available. Prolonging the updates can cause bugs in the software or cause issues when running or using the apps. If you want too long, the app may even stop working completely.
Updating apps regularly also has many advantages including:
- Updated Security. Apps updates improve the security of your device. When an app is outdated, it’s much easier for a hacker to use the outdated design to get personal information.
- Bug Fixes. Updating an app will get rid of any bugs you might be experiencing. Most of the time you will see that the bug is fixed right after the update.
- Better Performance. Outdated apps are often very slow and won’t perform at all.
Updating also doesn’t cause too much time or effort, so you should be able to do it for just a few minutes. Setting your apps to automatically update will also remove the stress of having to check if your apps need to be updated.
How Do I Know When My Apps Need to be Updated?
The easiest way to tell if your apps need to be updated is to check. If you use the smart hub button to go to the main app page, you should see a white arrow and a blue circle on any apps that need to be updated. You might also get an alert the next time you open the app that says it needs to be updated. You can either choose Update Now or Remind me Later.
You might also need to update your apps if you are having the following problems:
- An app keeps crashing or won’t open.
- Your regular content isn’t showing when you open the app.
- You recently updated the TV software and now some of the apps you have aren’t working.
- An app is working much slower than normal.
All of these issues could signal a problem occurring in the app. Updating it will almost always fix the problem.
Updating your Samsung Smart TV apps is a simple process to follow and only takes a few minutes. You should always keep your apps updated to ensure they are working properly and that they won’t crash. Just find the apps that need to be updated, choose Update, and then click the enter button from your TV remote.