When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bose Portable smart speakers are a fantastic way to take your music and sound with you wherever you go and still keep the sound quality the Bose offers. Bose speakers offer some of the highest quality sound available; however, as with most forms of technology, there can be a few bugs that require the speaker to be reset.
The speakers themselves use Bluetooth technology to connect wirelessly with smartphones, tablets, computers, and more. The connection mechanism can be difficult at times because all compatible devices have to be within range of the speaker unless they are connected via Wi-Fi or by using an audio cord.
Ways to Reset a Bose Portable Smart Speaker
There are two main ways to reset a Bose Portable smart speaker.
- A soft-reset by pressing and holding the play/pause button
- A hard-reset that will wipe the memory from your smart speakers and restore it to factory settings
The speakers must be fully reset before they will work properly again, which may take up to 10 minutes after the reset is complete.
Press and Hold the Play/Pause Button
Doing a soft reset on your Bose Portable Smart Speakers is very easy and often the first step to fix any connectivity issues. To do this, you will:
- Press and hold the play/pause button for ten seconds.
- Wait for a white light to pulse on the light ring. This is the start of the rebooting process as it connects to a Wi-Fi source.
Reset to Factory Settings
Another option is to reset your Bose Portable Smart Speaker to be returned to factory settings if you would like to. Sometimes, if a soft reset doesn’t work, you may have to do a hard reset on your smart speakers. If you don’t have any voice assistants connected to your speakers, such as Alexa or Google Assistant, you can follow these instructions:
- Remove your speakers from your Bose account.
- Connect your speakers to a power source. A white light should appear. If it is pulsing, wait for it to stop.
- Press and hold the Bluetooth and the volume + buttons for ten seconds and wait for the light ring to be filled with a white light. Once it is filled, the factory reset has started.
If your Bose Portable Smart Speaker is paired with a voice assistant like Alexa or Google Assistant, you can follow these instructions.
Reasons to Reset Your Bose Portable Smart Speaker
There are several reasons to reset a Bose Portable smart speaker. The most common reason is that the device does not seem to be responding to the connected device when it should. Some other possible reasons you’d want to reset your Bose Portable Smart Speaker are:
- Issues with pairing devices with the speakers
- Your speakers won’t connect to the Bose app
Sometimes you may have to troubleshoot a bit to figure out why your Bose Portable Smart Speaker isn’t functioning properly. You shouldn’t resort to a factory reset until it is the last resort for connection.
What to do if Resetting the Smart Speaker Doesn’t Work?
Sometimes resetting your Bose Portable Smart Speaker may not fix the problem you’re having with the smart speaker. If this is the case, here are some things that you can do:
- Turn the Wi-Fi on the speakers off and back on
- Force stop the Bose app on your device
- Uninstall and reinstall the Bose app on your device
- Restart the device you’re trying to connect to
- Turn the Bluetooth on your device off and back on
- Contact Bose customer support
Can Resetting a Bose Portable Smart Speaker Damage it?
Bose Portable smart speakers are built with multiple safeguards in place to protect them from damage during the resetting process.
Doing a soft reset on the device will not wipe any of the settings or other data on it, so users do not have to worry about losing anything they have put onto the device unless it has been backed up elsewhere.
What Does Resetting A Bose Portable Smart Speaker Do?
Resetting a Bose Portable smart speaker removes all wireless connections between it and any other devices on your local network. This includes pairing settings, WiFi passwords, Bluetooth pairings, and more. However, none of these things affect how well the device works at playing music through its system.
Clearing Bluetooth Connections
If you want to reset your Bose Portable Smart Speaker but also clear it from the Bluetooth connections it has, it can be done fairly easily. All you have to do is:
- Turn on your portable smart speaker.
- Press and hold the Bluetooth symbol on the smart speaker for about ten seconds. You should hear a tone. That is when you’ll know your smart speaker’s memory is cleared.
Regardless of the reason you’re resetting your Bose Portable smart speaker, it can be done safely without damaging your smart speaker. Doing a soft reset will fix most problems that you may encounter, while doing a factory reset will restore your smart speakers to their original settings, removing all connections and data.