Just like computers with IP addresses, each Echo Dot has a MAC address that uniquely identifies them. The MAC address is essential for network connectivity and other functions, so there may be cases where you may need to find it.
Below, we’ll cover the steps you need to take to find the MAC address on your Echo Dot, as well as reasons why you would need to know it.
How Do You Find the MAC Address on the Echo Dot?
MAC stands for Media Access Control. It’s a series of 12 numbers and letters that are used to identify your device.
The first six characters are the Block ID, and the Device ID is the last six characters. The Block ID is unique to the manufacturer, while the Device ID is the device’s manufacturer data and the device’s model. In short, the MAC address has both IDs within it.
The MAC address of your Echo Dot can be found in just a few simple steps:
- Download the Amazon Alexa app.
- Sign in to your Amazon account.
- Make sure your phone is connected to the wireless network shared with your Echo Dot.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Echo Setup screen, where you should find the MAC.
You can also find the Echo Dot MAC address under the settings page:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Select the top left navigation menu.
- Choose Settings.
- Select Device Settings.
- Select Echo Dot from the list.
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose About.
- The address should be listed at the bottom of the screen. It will be 12 characters long.
For a visual guide, you can check this video.
Note: All the MAC addresses for Amazon Alexa devices are found the same way.
How Do You Find an Echo Dot MAC Address without Wi-Fi?
One of the only ways to access the MAC address without Wi-Fi is to look at the original packing. If you still have the Echo Dot box, you can follow these steps:
- Look at the bottom of the box.
- Find the smaller of the two barcodes.
- Find the 12 characters listed next to MAC address. It should be located under the DSN number.
Alternatively, you can try calling Amazon Alexa support to see if they can help you locate the MAC address.
Why Do I Need to Know My Echo Dot’s MAC?
The MAC address is essential for a few reasons:
- Helps identify your device and the date it was made
- Allows your device to communicate with the Wi-Fi network
- Allows a network to function correctly
- Allows devices to work without them needing a physical ethernet connection
The MAC address makes it possible for your Echo Dot to use your Wi-Fi and establish a connection to retrieve information. It also allows Alexa to work and be able to understand your voice commands.
Knowing where to find your MAC address can come in handy in a few situations:
- If you’re having trouble with your Echo Dot, Amazon might ask for it to help solve some issues
- There’s a software update or license change
- You want to change the MAC address
How to Change Echo Dot’s MAC Address
Some people change their MAC address for several reasons, including:
- You want to access a network that doesn’t allow your current MAC address
- You’re using public Wi-Fi and don’t want people to see your MAC address
- A hacker has learned your MAC address, and you want to change it
Most of these issues don’t occur when using an Echo Dot unless you decide to use it in places other than your home. In most cases, users choose to change their MAC address if they take their Echo Dot to a hotel or other place where there’s no private Wi-Fi connection.
The easiest way to change your MAC address is to download software onto your computer to do it for you. It will give you a new random address for your Echo Dot. You can also find instructions to manually change it here.
However, if you don’t have experience changing a MAC address, you might want to find some professional help, and if you think your Echo Dot has been hacked for any reason, contact Amazon and see if they can help change your MAC address.
There are a few reasons you may need to find your Echo Dot’s MAC address, but in most cases, it’s so users can change their MAC address if needed. The easiest way to find your MAC address is in the Amazon Alexa app. Choose Settings, then Device Settings, then Echo Dot. It should be listed at the very bottom of the About page and be 12 characters.