Google Assistant can interact with your phone and other Google products to help simplify your life. Google Assistant can control your music, read notifications for you, and control your devices to your smart home. To fully customize Google Assistant, you can also change the voice and name to make it feel more personalized.
Below, we’ll go over how you can change your Google Assistant’s voice and name across different Google products.
How to Change the Google Assistant’s Name
Unlike Alexa, Google Assistant does not have the option to change its wake word. However, you can change what Google Assistant calls you, regardless of the Google device you access the AI with.
By default, it will call you the name you have on your Google account. To change your nickname and how Google Assistant will reply to you, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Home app.
- Select Settings.
- Tap More Settings.
- Tap Nickname under the You tab.
- You can either type in your nickname or record it so that Google Assistant will pronounce it correctly.
Some people still want to change the name of their Google Assistant so that they don’t have to say “Hey Google” every time they want to give the device a voice command. While the Google Home App does not officially let you change the name, you can use a third-party app called Open Mic+ for this process.
Follow the steps below to get started:
- Activate the Google Assistant on your device by saying, “Hey Google.”
- Use the Google Home app to open the explore menu by pressing the compass.
- Tap open your profile button.
- Select Settings.
- Click Assistant Devices.
- Tap the device you want to change.
- Turn the Access with Voice Match off.
- Download and launch the Open Mic+ app.
- Tap the orange settings in the top center of the screen.
- Tap Hot Phrase.
- Tap in the new name you want to call Google Assistant.
- Click Ok.
- You can now press the Start button and call Google Assistant by its new name.
If the Open Mic+ app didn’t work, you could also try the Tasker app from the Google Play store. However, unlike the Open Mic+ app, the tasker app is not free.
How to Choose Google Assistant’s Voice
Changing the voice on your Google Assistant can be done with a few simple steps:
- Open the Google Home app on your smart device.
- At the top right, choose your profile image or the icon that shows your initials.
- Select Assistant Settings.
- Scroll down and select Assistant Voice.
- From the options at the top, you can select the voice you want.
Note that not all accents and languages are available in every region, and your Google account will be able to use your phone number and location settings to see where you are. Some people say that changing their primary language to English (US) will allow them to choose different voices and accents.
However, this may not work for everyone. If you want to have more options for your Google voice, you may need to get a VPN or obtain a US phone number. The setup process is pretty simple.
You can also change Google’s voice and speech speed:
- Open the Google Home App.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Tap the Text-to-Speech output.
- Drag the Speech Rate slider to your preferred speed.
Drag the slider to the left for slower speech and to the right for faster speech.
Changing the voice and nickname in your Google Home App can be done easily in a few simple steps. Go into the Settings page and click your profile picture. Either choose Assistant Voice or Nickname depending on the setting you want to change.