How to Change the Owner of Ecobee Thermostat
The Ecobee Smart Thermostat is a home thermostat that combines Wi-Fi connectivity with temperature control and allows you to manage your comfort from wherever you are. Whether you’re in another room or far away, you can use your smartphone to adjust your home’s temperature without having to touch the thermostat itself. Each Ecobee is registered through the Ecobee app on your smartphone device and can be transferred to other users for ownership.
To change the owner of the Ecobee, you will have to go into the settings on the Ecobee thermostat and select reset to link your new account to the device.
We will explore both options for changing the ownership of the device. First, we will go over how an initial setup would go, including creating a new Ecobee account and pairing for the first time with an Ecobee thermostat. Then, we will walk you through how to perform a registration reset on the Ecobee thermostat to pair it with a different account.
Registering the Ecobee Thermostat
Setting up your Ecobee account to pair with your thermostat is a very simple and easy to follow process. Creating your new account is straightforward, and the information you provide allows the thermostat to customize your home comfort experience further. At the end of the setup, you will have designated an owner for your Ecobee thermostat and be able to control and monitor your thermostat from your smartphone.
Upon installing your Ecobee thermostat, you will be prompted to register and create an account with Ecobee. To do so:
- Download the Ecobee app from your smartphone’s app store.
- Once you open the app, select the choice for Create Account.
- Initially, you will be asked for your first and last name, your email address, and a password of your choice. This information would belong to the owner of the thermostat.
- After entering your new account credentials, the app will then ask you to provide your home address and a name for your home. This step is optional; however, the thermostat will use your address to determine local weather information to optimize heating and cooling for your home.
- Once you decide on weather optimization, the next page will give you a Welcome Home message. Here, select Add a Device and choose Register a Device to navigate to the next step. At this point in the process, you have just finished installing your new Ecobee thermostat, and the device is now prompting you towards registration with an accompanying code.
- The next page will allow you to input information about your home to provide the thermostat with context to create accurate monthly reports based on your energy consumption. It will ask for the type of your home, square footage, number of floors, number of bedrooms, and the year your home was built.
With the Ecobee thermostat now linked to your new Ecobee account, you are designated as the thermostat owner. You can take advantage of all the features available to you. After you create your account and complete the registration process, you will not be able to change the Ecobee thermostat owner unless you go into its settings and reset its registration.
Resetting Ecobee Registration to Change Ownership
If you have an existing Ecobee thermostat that has been paired with an account, you will have to reset the thermostat’s registration to designate new account ownership. You can complete a registration reset directly on the screen of the thermostat. (Note that this does not reset any of the thermostat’s settings or configurations.)
To reset your Ecobee:
- Make sure the Ecobee is turned on and properly connected to power.
- On your thermostat, navigate to the icon for the Main Menu. It will look like three horizontal bars.
- From the Main Menu, select the option for Settings.
- Under settings, there will be a choice for Reset.
- When you get here, select Reset Registration.
Following these steps will allow you to re-register your thermostat with different account credentials. Resetting the thermostat can bring up an additional menu to reset all settings on the device. This option erases all prior user settings, which will allow you to set up the device with the preferences of your choosing.
The Ecobee thermostat offers a host of features, including room temperature sensors and the ability to detect people’s presence, all of which can be enhanced by having the proper device registration. Changing the account owner allows you to tailor these settings to your home and your preferences, all from Ecobee’s easy-to-use smartphone application.
New to Ecobee? Learn how to get the most out of your Ecobee thermostat’s sensors here.