Does Chromecast Work Without Internet?
Google Chromecast allows you to cast videos from a phone, tablet, or computer to your TV. Your Chromecast can even be moved around to different TVs easily after the initial set up in the Google Home app. I love the idea of being able to take my Chromecast anywhere with me when I travel, so I wanted to know if it could work without being connected to Internet.
Chromecast works without Internet when casting from an Android 5.0 or later device. Windows devices and iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads do not work with Chromecast without the Internet. Wi-Fi is also required to set up a new Chromecast and upgrade the firmware on the device.
For mobile users, there are two ways to connect your Chromecast to the Internet if you don’t have access to a standard Wi-Fi network. You can use a hotspot on your phone, or you can purchase a travel router. Keep reading to learn all the ways you can use your Chromecast without standard Internet.
Can Chromecast Work without Internet?
If you have an Android device such as a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can cast the device’s screen to your Chromecast without Internet; this is essentially screen sharing to your Chromecast.
Note: The phone or tablet you are sharing from must have a Wi-Fi connection, cellular data, or previously downloaded video to cast content.
How to Use Chromecast Without Wi-Fi on Android Devices
Your Chromecast must have up-to-date firmware to cast without Internet. When the Chromecast is connected to Wi-Fi, it should receive firmware updates automatically. Check out this article for directions on how to update firmware manually if needed.
Follow the steps below to cast from your Android device without Internet:
- Connect the Chromecast to a TV.
- Open the Google Home app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Click on the cast button in the top-left corner.
- Select the screen you want to share.
- A 4-digit PIN will appear on the TV. Enter the PIN in the Google Home app.
How to Connect to Chromecast with a Mobile Hotspot
If you do not have an Android device and want to use your Chromecast in a place without Internet, you can use a mobile hotspot.Most smartphones have a mobile hotspot that allows the phone to act as a Wi-Fi network.
There are two essential things to keep in mind when using a mobile hotspot with Chromecast:
- Using your phone as a mobile hotspot uses cellular data. Streaming and casting videos can use a lot of data, so check your phone plan to make sure you have enough data to use your Chromecast with your hotspot.
- You cannot cast from the same device that you are using as a mobile hotspot. Therefore, you must have a second device to cast from, such as a tablet or laptop.
To connect Chromecast to your mobile hotspot:
- Turn on the hotspot on your phone.
- Connect the Chromecast and the second device to the hotspot network.
- Cast video from your second device.
How to Use Chromecast with a Travel Router
While most hotels have Wi-Fi, they may not be able to connect to your Chromecast. Many hotels use a two-step authentication process to sign into their Wi-Fi; Chromecast does not support these types of Wi-Fi networks.
A travel router is a solution to this problem. It connects to an Ethernet cable to create your own mini Wi-Fi network in your hotel room. You can then connect your Chromecast to the travel router, allowing you to connect multiple devices to your hotel’s Internet without paying additional hotel fees.
The downside of this option is that your hotel room must have an Ethernet port or cable. If the hotel room doesn’t have wired Internet access, you will not be able to set up your travel router.
How to Connect to Chromecast with Guest Mode
Guest mode allows friends and family to cast from their devices to your Chromecast. The guest mode works with all types of phones and tablets, but some Apple apps may not support Chromecast.
Your guest does not have to connect to your Wi-Fi network, but as the host, your phone or tablet must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
Here’s how to set up guest mode as the host:
- Open the Google Home app on your phone or tablet.
- Select your Chromecast device.
- Select the settings icon.
- Tap “Device Settings.”
- Tap “Guest Mode.”
- Turn on guest mode.
After a host has enabled guest mode, guests can easily connect to the host’s Chromecast device using these steps:
- Open a Chromecast-supported app on your device.
- Tap the cast icon.
- Select “Nearby device.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- If the devices do not automatically connect, you will need to enter a PIN provided by the host. The host can find the PIN on their device in the Guest Mode settings in the Google Home app.
Chromecast works without Internet with Android devices but not with Apple and Windows devices. If you have an iPhone or iPad and want to use your Chromecast without Wi-Fi, you can use a mobile hotspot to connect your Chromecast to the Internet. If you have access to wired Internet through an Ethernet cable, you can also use a travel router.
Check out our other article on the Google Home Hub and learn about other smart home products from Google!