Samsung smart TVs are a great way to stream all your favorite shows and movies, as well as use popular apps such as YouTube and Netflix. Since most of the apps and streaming features on the Samsung TV need WIFI, you might be wondering if you can use the TV without the internet.
Samsung TVs can be used without internet, but only as regular TVs, such as with cable subscriptions. Streaming platforms, app downloads, and other features that require a WIFI connection will not work.
You might be wondering how you can use your Samsung TV without internet, and which features you can still use if your internet happens to stop working. We will cover all of these in the article. We will also go over if it’s worth buying a Samsung TV if you don’t have internet.
Does a Samsung Smart TV Require Internet?
Without internet, a Samsung Smart TV will function like a standard TV. So, you can still use your cable subscription, watch the TV with a DVD player or other HDMI output, or play video games with a console. However, you will lose access to all the advanced features that need an internet connection.
What Features Require Internet
Here are some common features you will need an internet connection for:
- Streaming services: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc will all need internet. Even if you have saved videos on Amazon Prime, you will still need an internet connection to access the app and start playing the movie.
- Voice Assistant Features: Samsung TVs are compatible with Alexa, but only if you have WIFI. Without the internet, you won’t be able to give Alexa commands or set up the device.
- Firmware Updates: Smart TVs need to be updated regularly and the apps need to have regular updates as well. Without the internet, you might not know when your TV needs an update, and it might eventually stop working correctly.
- Downloading apps: Any time you use apps, you need an internet connection. App updates also need an internet connection.
Sometimes, you might find that your internet connection isn’t working.
What Features Don’t Require Internet
You can still use some features on the smart tv though even If you can’t get a stable internet connection:
- Using connected devices: You can use consoles, DVD players, satellite TV, or anything else that can be connected to the TV.
- Stream from a USB. If your TV has a USB connection, you can plug it into the TV and then watch the contents you have on the USB.
- Watch DVDs and CDs. If you have a DVD player or CD player that can be connected to the TV, you can plug it in and then watch content from the discs you have.
Now, let’s move on to how you can watch your TV without the internet.
How Can I Watch My Samsung TV Without Internet?
Besides being able to watch DVDs and other local content, you might be wondering how you can stream with your Samsung TV if you don’t have internet. With a smart TV, the easiest way to stream content is to get a WIFI router and hook it up to the TV. If your router will not connect to the TV or you don’t have a smart TV, you still have some options for streaming content through.
Streaming From Your Mobile Device
If you have a Google Chromecast, you can use your phone or tablet that’s connected to your mobile data plan and stream shows to the Samsung TV. You will need to plug the Chromecast into the TV and then download the Google Home app onto your mobile device.
The app will walk you through the steps of setting up the Chromecast. Then, you can use your mobile device to stream videos and shows directly to the TV.
For Apple devices, you can use the Airplay feature to play whatever is on your phone to the TV. This feature isn’t available on all smart TVs though.
Using Amazon Fire Stick
You still need a WIFI connection to use the Amazon Fire Stick, but some people find it easier to connect using the fire stick than to the actual TV. To use the Firestick, follow these steps:
- Connect the Fire Stick to the TV using an HDMI cable. Make sure you also plug it into the power socket.
- Turn on the TV and select the HDMI output that the Fire Stick is plugged into.
- Press the Home Button on the Fire Stick until a prompt appears on the screen and starts the pairing process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to the WIFI.
- Sign in to your Amazon account.
Now you know how to watch TV without the internet.
Although Samsung TVs can be used without internet, they offer more features and streaming options with a WIFI connection. Firmware and app updates, as well as voice assistant, features also only work with WIFI.