When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Toshiba smart TVs are known for offering the same cutting-edge features you would expect from pricier brands. But if you lose the remote, can you still use your Toshiba smart TV? Or are you out of luck until you find it or get a new one?
To control your TV without a remote, including:
- The buttons on the TV console
- Your voice
- Smartphone apps
- A keyboard and mouse
- A video game controller
With so many options, you may find that losing your remote is not a big deal after all.
If you’ve lost your Toshiba remote, all is not lost. Chances are, if you have more than one smart product, you’ll be fine.
Remote Control Alternatives for Toshiba Smart TVs
Toshiba TV Console Buttons
Depending on your model Toshiba TV, you may be able to use most of the functions using the buttons on the TV.
If your TV has buttons, they can usually be found beneath the display or on the back of the unit.
They can be used to control:
- Power on/off
- Channel up/down
- Volume up/down
- Menu access (using the volume buttons to navigate between options)
- Input options (to switch between external devices)
Not all models have these buttons to control your Toshiba TV. Some only have a power button.
If you need help locating the control buttons on your Toshiba TV, consult the owner’s manual. Owner’s manuals can be found on Toshiba’s support page.
Alexa Voice Assistant
You can use your voice instead of using a device to control your Toshiba TV. On a Toshiba Fire TV, you can use Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant to control TV functions.
Using Alexa, you can do much more than just turn on Toshiba TVs. With Alexa, you can control just about any function you would perform with a remote. Make sure the microphone button (usually found below the screen) is switched on.
Available voice commands include:
- “Alexa, turn on the TV.”
- “Alexa, increase the volume.”
- “Alexa, go to channel guide.”
- “Alexa, tune to [channel number] on TV.”
- “Alexa, tune to [network] on TV.”
- “Alexa, switch to [input type].”
- “Alexa, play [title].”
Google Voice Assistant on Android and VIDAA TVs
Voice commands can also control a Toshiba Android TV using the Google Assistant. Instead of starting with “Alexa,” you would begin by saying, “Hey, Google.”
Google Assistant can also control Toshiba TVs operating on the VIDAA OS. This requires first setting up Google Smart Home Service on the TV and then linking the TV to the Google Home app.
Before you begin, make sure to set up a VIDAA (voice) account. Follow these steps to set up Google Smart Home Service on your VIDAA Toshiba TV:
- Go to the Settings menu and select “System”
- Choose “Voice Service” > “Google Smart Home Service” (or directly to Google Smart Home Service on some models).
- Follow the prompts on the TV screen to finish setting up Google Smart Home Service.
To enable Google Assistant voice commands:
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone or mobile device.
- Tap Home followed by “+”.
- Select “Set up Device” followed by “Works with Google”
- Open the search bar and type in “VIDAA Voice”
- Select the VIDAA Voice icon and enter your VIDAA account details.
With your Google and VIDAA accounts linked, you can use Google Assistant voice commands or the Google Home app to control your Toshiba TV.
Smartphone Apps for Toshiba TVs
Rather than purchasing a replacement for your lost remote, you may be able to use a smartphone for the job.
To use your smartphone to control your Toshiba TV, it needs to be on the same Wi-Fi network as your TV, paired through Bluetooth, or have a built-in IR blaster.
You can download several applications to turn your smartphone into a remote easily. Here are a few options to consider:
- A universal remote application is designed to work with any compatible TV. Many universal remote apps are free (but you may need to put up with ads) and easily found in your phone’s app store.
- Another option is installing a Toshiba remote application. Whether you own an Android or iOS device, you can find many remote app options in the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Some streaming applications enable you to control the service on your TV using your smartphone.
Once you find a Toshiba remote app you like, follow the on-screen instructions to connect your smartphone to your Toshiba TV. It is worth noting that apps turning your smartphone into a Toshiba remote, such as Toshy, are not formally affiliated with Toshiba.
Alternatively, you can also use your phone’s screen-mirroring feature, which allows you to cast content from your device to your TV.
Keyboard and Mouse to Control Your Toshiba TV
Another option for controlling your Toshiba TV when you’ve lost the remote is using a keyboard and mouse. We like the Logitech K400 keyboard for our smart TVs.
This method can be hit or miss, depending on your TV. Certain functions may not work, so using a keyboard and mouse is not an ideal solution, but is workable in a pinch.
You can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate through options on the screen. But you may have difficulty selecting, as hitting the enter key may not work. But a keyboard and mouse work just fine within certain apps, like YouTube.
To connect a keyboard and mouse using USB, follow these steps:
- Connect your keyboard and mouse to the USB ports behind your TV.
- You can use the arrow buttons on the keyboard to navigate through menu options and hit enter to make a selection.
- You can also use your mouse to move the cursor and click to make a selection.
If you have a wireless keyboard and mouse, plug the transmitter into the USB port behind the TV.
Video Game Controller for Toshiba TVs
You can also turn a video game controller into a substitute remote control. Procedures will vary depending on the type of console and controller.
To use a video game controller as a remote control, you need to pair it with your TV (which means you either had your remote to perform this step or used voice commands).
For example, follow these steps to pair a PS4 controller with your Toshiba Fire TV:
- Go to the Settings screen.
- Select “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices” > “Game Controllers” > “Add New Game Controller”
- With the controller off, press and hold the Share and PS buttons simultaneously until the controller light flashes several times.
- Tap “Wireless Controller” on your screen. Your controller is now paired with your TV.
Press the PS button to access the main menu screen. Use the left stick to navigate around and press the X button to make selections and the O button to return to a previous selection.
Eliminating a Toshiba Smart TV Remote: Using Other Remotes
Consider a universal remote when all else fails or if you need a new one. One of the main benefits of owning a universal remote is that it can control multiple devices, not just your Toshiba TV.
Another option is using the remote that comes with your streaming device. For example, you can use a Fire Stick remote to change channels and control the volume on your Toshiba TV. Some users have reported, however, that a Roku remote will not turn the TV on.