Can Arlo Cameras Be Hacked? (And How to Prevent It)
By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Arlo security cameras are one of the most popular brands of security camera doorbell systems on the market. However, a concern you may have with Arlo and other similar systems is that they can potentially be hacked by strangers who can use them to remotely look into your home.
Arlo security cameras can be hacked if they’re connected to a wireless Internet connection since these connections are rarely secure enough to keep out dedicated hackers. The best way to prevent hacking is to purchase an Arlo model that operates on a cellular network with two-factor authentication.
Wireless security camera systems can pose a potential security risk if you don’t know about the potential methods hackers may use to compromise them. Read on to learn more about Arlo camera security systems and how to keep them safe from hackers.
How Secure Are Arlo Cameras?
In 2019, there was some concern about the security of Arlo cameras since a few major vulnerabilities were discovered that could allow hackers access to control over the camera system.
What Issues Made Arlo Vulnerable to Hacking?
Using the network’s configuration or physical access to the Arlo device, hackers could either take control of targeted Arlo cameras or access the system’s main controls. Fortunately, vendors were alerted to these security issues and subsequently patched out of the Arlo system.
It’s worth noting that both of these security risks applied only to Arlo cameras connected to a wireless network. For newer Arlo camera models that run off a dedicated cellular network, the system is much more secure.
Is It Easy to Hack an Arlo Camera?
It isn’t easy to hack an Arlo camera system even for dedicated hackers. Even with the hacking exploits above, physical access is needed for one of them. It is very hard for hackers to remotely eavesdrop or hijack your Arlo system even if it’s connected to a wireless system.
Here are a few other reasons why Arlo systems are generally considered safe from hackers:
- AES encryption: Arlo uses AES encryption to protect your data on the security system. This is the same encryption used by banks and other financial institutions to pass highly sensitive data over wireless networks.
- Strict password encryption: Like most camera systems, Arlo has password encryption. This encryption allows the user to come up with their own password that has to contain at least six characters, including one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number. Arlo also locks users out after five incorrect attempts to prevent hacking.
- Account authorization over secure networks: Arlo uses a secure HTTPS connection to verify its security authorization. This helps prevent people from being able to “eavesdrop” on the network connection.
The combination of these factors help keep Arlo’s system secure. However, they aren’t the only things that help keep your cameras secure from hackers. There are also ways you can make the system more secure through your actions.
How to Prevent Arlo Cameras From Being Hacked
Arlo security systems are relatively secure, but there are a few different things that home users can do to help make their Arlo system even safer from hackers.
Here are some options you have for reinforcing Arlo’s security measures:
- Come up with a strong password. Weak passwords are one of the easiest ways hackers can use to break into your digital systems. Use unique passwords and be sure to rotate them on a regular basis to prevent someone from cracking them.
- Use two-factor authentication. Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of protection that can help keep hackers from being able to crack your passwords. This system requires an additional log-in credential on top of a password to prevent unauthorized log-ins to the system.
- Use the most updated version of the Arlo system. One way that hackers can hack security systems is by exploiting older versions of security software which may contain backdoor loopholes or other weaknesses that they can use to access the software. Always make sure to keep your cameras updated to prevent any vulnerabilities.
On top of these security measures, you should also be careful about sharing your security camera’s password or your log-in credentials with anyone.
Are Newer Arlo Systems Safe Against Hacking?
If you’re worried about your Arlo security and camera system getting hacked, a major preventative measure you can take is to go with an Arlo Pro or an Arlo Go.
The Arlo Go is a cellular security system which doesn’t operate on a wireless network, which makes it less vulnerable to hackers. The Arlo Pro is a more updated version of the Arlo system, so it has had many of the vulnerabilities of earlier Arlo models designed out of it.
Arlo Cameras Need Protection From Hackers
No matter which security camera system you go with, you’ll need to take precautions to avoid security breaches from hackers. Arlo’s system is no different. If you go with one of Arlo’s newer models and keep it off a wireless system, however, you’ll have a lot more security than you would if you kept your camera connected to a WiFi network.