When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whether you are a grill master or an amateur, the Traeger WiFIRE line has some amazing features that make them superior grills compared to most. With a Wi-Fi connection, you can control the grill from the Traeger app on your smartphone, tablet, or Apple Watch. However, if the Wi-Fi connection quits working, you might need to reset it.
Below, we’ll cover the steps you should follow to reset the Traeger WiFIRE, as well as go over some troubleshooting tips should the reset not resolve your issue.
Power Cycle Your Phone and the Grill
For a soft reset, power off your smartphone or tablet with the Traeger app. Wait a few minutes, then turn the phone back on. Then, power off the grill by switching the power switch off. Wait 30 seconds and then turn the grill back on using the same switch.
Factory (Hard) Reset the Traeger WiFIRE Grill
If a soft reset doesn’t do the trick, try a hard reset:
- On the grill’s controller, select Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Choose About Grill.
- Press and hold the Ignite button until you see the Traeger logo. It should be about 5-10 seconds.
Pair the App to the Grill and Connect to Wi-Fi
Once you’ve hard reset the app and grill, you’ll want to make sure they have paired again and are connected to Wi-Fi.
To start the pairing process:
- From the app, select Pair Grill.
- Choose Yes/Accept/Join to all the prompts.
- It will take you to a page where you can name your grill and customize settings.
To connect the grill to Wi-Fi:
- Press the Menu button on the grill.
- Select Settings.
- Choose Wi-Fi.
- Make sure it is connected to your home’s network.
- If not, select the network name and enter the password.
Check the Traeger App and Grill Controller for Updates
Once your grill is paired to your phone’s app and connected to Wi-Fi, you’ll need to make sure it’s updated and running on the latest firmware since a hard reset also rolls back updates. You can check this within the Traeger app settings menu and download and install an update here if necessary.
If the grill is connected to Wi-Fi, it will take about 4 hours for the grill to download and apply any firmware updates. After the 4 hours have passed, press Menu on the app. Then Settings, then About Grill. (The version should be at least 2.XX.XX.)
To check for app updates, check the app store to see which version the Traeger app should be running. You should be able to download any updates from there.
Pair the Grill Again
After any necessary updates, the grill will need to be paired with the app again. Choose Pair Grill on the app, then select Yes/Accept/Join to all the prompts.
After you have named the grill in the app, it will say you are paired correctly. As you can see, if your grill can’t connect to Wi-Fi, there are a few things you need to reset, including the grill, the app, and the firmware. Resetting all the connections will ensure your grill can connect to the network and perform more efficiently.
Troubleshooting Tips for Traeger WiFIRE
If the reset steps did not help resolve your issue, you might need to check a few things on the grill and your smart device and then try the reset process again.
Reset the Network Settings on your Android or iOS Device
Sometimes a simple network setting reset will do the trick. Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Choose Reset.
- Choose Reset All Settings.
Turn Off Mobile Data
Your mobile data will be active when switching between the grill’s Wi-Fi and your home Wi-Fi network. This can disrupt the connection between the two Wi-Fi networks. Sometimes it’s best to turn the mobile data off when trying to fix issues with the Wi-Fi. Follow these steps:
- Turn off the grill and then unplug it.
- Force quit the Traeger App.
- Go to Settings, Connections, Data Usage, Mobile Data. Toggle the data button to the off position.
- Plug the grill back in and switch it on.
- Open the Traeger App.
- Pair the grill with the app.
- You can turn the mobile data back on once the grill and app are paired.
Check Your Signal Strength
Your Wi-Fi signal will need to be in a range of -30dbm to -70dbm. The best way to check your signal strength is to download an app onto your phone and test it standing next to the grill. If it’s weal, there could be a few reasons:
- Your grill is too far away from your router.
- Your router’s signal strength is too weak.
- There are too many walls or obstacles between the grill and router.
Resetting the Traeger WiFIRE is essential for the grill to be able to operate on your home’s Wi-Fi network. There are ten steps you can take to reset the grill and some troubleshooting tips you can follow to get your grill back online.