Why Does My Toshiba TV Have No Sound?
Without sound, our modern movies just wouldn’t be the same. It isn’t 1920 – we can and love to listen to cinematic scores! That’s why when our TVs suddenly are silent, we look to get them singing back to us again.
If you can’t hear sound from your Toshiba TV, make sure your TV is set as the playback device in the TV audio settings. If you have a soundbar hooked up, disable your TV as the playback device in the TV audio settings.
In this article, you’ll learn what to do if your TV has no sound but does have a picture and what to do if your TV has no sound and no picture. Read on if either of these apply to you.
Why a Toshiba TV May Not Have Sound
Your Toshiba TV may not have sound for a number of reasons. It may have an issue with the audio ports, the sound settings may be disabled, or you may need to hook up a soundbar.
Here are some solutions to your Toshiba TV not having sound:
- For starters, you always need to check that your volume is on. Check to make sure you aren’t accidentally muted or the sound is turned very low.
- Make sure that there is no damage to your TV speakers or soundbar. Has water been spilled on it? Has the dog nibbled on it? Any damage at all can cause faults either right there in the moment or months down the road.
If you don’t have one, it may actually be beneficial to you to hook up a soundbar to your TV. It could solve the silence you are experiencing, and it can drastically enhance your cinematic experience.
How to Get Sound on Your Toshiba TV
A great solution for sound is a soundbar. It is an external device, usually attached to your TV by way of HDMI cable. Most soundbars today also come with their own bass system which is powered on and off manually or with the remote.
Using a Soundbar
If you have a soundbar hooked up, you will need to go through the setup process for your individual soundbar. Then, make sure your input settings match up. You will need to enter settings and disable your TV audio in order for the audio to play from the soundbar.
To connect your soundbar to your Toshiba TV with an HDMI cable, follow these steps:
- Make sure your TV has the HDMI ARC port.
- Plug one end of the HDMI cable to this port.
- Next, locate the HDMI ARC port into the back of your soundbar.
- Plug the other end of the HDMI cable into this port.
- You’ll need to make sure your input on the soundbar is set to HDMI ARC.
- In your TV menu, go to audio.
- Change the Digital Out option to Digital or Bitstream.
- Return to the main menu on the TV and select System.
- Select CEC and make sure the CEC is enabled.
- Select device discovery to connect both.
- You may need to disable the TV sound in the audio settings in order for it to connect with the soundbar.
Make sure the connections are made with the correct hardware and proper software is installed.
Laptop or Computer Streaming
Nothing beats downloading a video game to your laptop and plugging your laptop into your TV with an HDMI cord to play it from. No need to purchase a console! If you haven’t tried it, it’s a really awesome experience. But, sometimes when we do this, the sound is disrupted.
Otherwise, here are some quick and easy steps to follow:
- Go to Start Menu
- Go to Control Panel
- Go to Sound
- Go to Playback Tab
- Select the TV option in the playback devices listed.
- If TV is not an option, right-click the device list box and select “show disabled devices”
- Then, enable the TV as a playback device. Set it as the default device.
Now, you’ll have sound when using your laptop to stream to your TV through an HDMI cord! If you would like to learn more about Toshiba, check out this article. Here is a YouTube video detailing how to fix sound that does not come from your TV when connected to a laptop with an HDMI cord.
Only the TV with No Other Devices/Services
If there is no sound or picture coming from your TV, and you have done the basic steps to ensure everything is connected and in working order, you may need to replace the entire TV. This is typically a sign of a defective or damaged TV unit.
If your movie is still playing but there is no sound, you may need to do a complete system reset. Watch this YouTube video to see how to do that.
If you go through this list and still do not find success, there are repair shops that can take your TV too or you can have a repairman come to your home (probably easier for your 65 inch TV). They will at least be able to diagnose your TV’s symptoms.