When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Korean dramas (or K-dramas) are becoming more mainstream in the US. Many streaming platforms and networks such as Rakuten Viki are starting to take advantage of this by offering multiple ways for consumers to access popular shows, such as through PlayStation consoles. But how do you start streaming on these devices?
To watch the Ratuken Viki channel via a PlayStation 4 or 5:
- Go to the “Media” section on your PlayStation and download the Hulu App
- Create and/or sign into your Hulu account.
- Type in the “Rakuten Viki” channel in the search bar.
- Click on the Rakuten Viki channel, and pick a show.
In the rest of this article, we will walk you through how simple it is to watch the Rakuten Viki channel through Hulu. Let’s dive right in!
Download the Hulu App
The first step to accessing the Rakuten Viki channel through Hulu on the PS4 or PS5 is to navigate to the top of the screen and click on the Media tab. Then:
- Select the “All Apps” button, which will take you to the vast library of available streaming apps to choose from.
- Find the Hulu app and select the download button.
- Return to your PlayStation home screen to find the newly downloaded Hulu streaming app.
- Click on the Hulu icon, which will take you to the app’s login screen.
Create and/or Log into Your Hulu Account
If you already have a Hulu account, simply sign in with your email address and password and move to the next step below. (Users who recently deactivated their account can reactivate it by following these steps.)
However, if you’re new to Hulu, you’ll need to create a free account, which can be done in just a few effortless steps and will give you full access to the platform’s entire streaming library:
- Choose your subscription type. Hulu presents you with two subscription options that they offer: Regular Hulu and Hulu with no ads. New users can take advantage of a free 30-day trial.
- Create a profile, username, and password. Provide basic information for your new profile and create a username and password for your account.
- Input your payment method. You will be asked to enter a payment method ahead of time to charge after the free trial ends. (Note: Hulu offers student discounts if you can verify your enrollment. You will also have the option to cancel the subscription at any time.)
- Connect your Hulu account to your PlayStation. After creating your username and password, you will need to click on the “Identify Yourself” option to connect your account to your PlayStation. Click “Get a New Code.” You will then receive a unique code to register your device. Open up a web browser and go to Hulu’s activation website. Type in the provided code displayed on your PlayStation’s screen and click “Activate.”
Head back to the Hulu login page. When you see the welcome screen, this is confirmation that the free trial has started.
Search for the Rakuten Viki Channel
After successfully creating a 30-day free trial Hulu account and reaching the Hulu home screen, navigate to the top right-hand corner of your newly created dashboard. Here, find and select the magnifying glass to get to the search bar.
Type in “Rakuten Viki” in the search bar and wait for the results to appear. The first result on the “Top Results” slider should show Rakuten Viki as a channel.
Select a K-Drama to Watch
Selecting the Rakuten Viki channel will bring you to a list of available K-dramas to watch via Rakuten Viki. There is a variety of shows to choose from, and you are bound to find one to binge-watch all night.
Some of the specific sections to browse through include “For You”, “Popular,” “New to Hulu,” and “A-Z”. These sections allow you to either find popular K-dramas, something new, or browse through the entire library of shows available. Choose a K-drama you’d like to watch and enjoy hours of laughing and crying (as all K-dramas tend to make you do!).
Rakuten Viki has been the go-to streaming service and app for popular K-dramas. The channel has an easy-to-use interface, a large content library, and over 200 languages of subtitles to accompany your favorite shows. The newest Sony console, the PlayStation 5, supports 4K HDR and Dolby Vision, so you can use the device to stream K-dramas at the highest quality.
Even though there is not currently a way to directly download the standalone Rakuten Viki app on the PlayStation 4 or 5, it is still possible to find and stream your favorite K-dramas through the use of the Hulu app. In just a few easy steps, you will be able to access some of the most popular Korean shows, all from the comfort of your couch.